Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 07.10.2012, 10:33 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Personally, I think of music as being a language. Most of the times people start talking about genres they're just trying to make their taste look like science. And let's be honest about it: it isn't, it's just taste. And the fact some of us have lived through the genesis years of some genre doesn't make us some kind of authority as well, most of the times those are the bitter ones who stand aside and comment how bad it's become. But most of the times, that's just it, it's changed. Most of the times it's the artists that get bored and change, and the public doesn't like their new adventures - think Infected Mushroom, for example. But who would possibly say that Trance as a whole is dead? Have you looked at pictures and videos from Boom Festival, for example? Maybe that's not your kind of thing, and it's fine, but there's still plenty of people around and the scene is pretty much alive and even some labels are still doing well releasing Trance material. Maybe you weren't even thinking of psychedelic trance in the first place, I bet. But that just proves the point, what the fuck is trance to start with? Besides a label, some concept that's used to define stuff that ranges from Tiesto to Psykovsky - and I believe there's like two galaxies in between those worlds, just saying...

Embrace the troll that's within you eheheh these trolls living under the bridges can throw parties there as well, it's like a troll neo-shamanic ritual, insane...

Peace
Old 08.10.2012, 08:15 PM
Definately caught something...
Complete Newbie

Just saying...seems like every Virus soundset for sale these days is trance or dubstep. Doesn't anyone program any other kinds of sounds?
Old 08.10.2012, 08:38 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by enossified View Post
Just saying...seems like every Virus soundset for sale these days is trance or dubstep. Doesn't anyone program any other kinds of sounds?
I think part of it is that the Virus was popularized around the same time trance was, as a genre. The other part if may be that the Virus (and perhaps VA technology in general) is not really known for things like bread and butter sounds or emulating ethnic acoustic instruments, film scoring type sounds, etc... most folks might look to other solutions like sampling or super-flexible soft synths for some types of work.

What kind of sounds are you looking for?
Old 09.10.2012, 02:06 AM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by enossified View Post
Kinda what I was getting at the start of the thread. I need another trance soundset like I need a hole in the head....damn, lyrics for my trollstep tune ; )
Old 09.10.2012, 11:12 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
Kinda what I was getting at the start of the thread. I need another trance soundset like I need a hole in the head....damn, lyrics for my trollstep tune ; )
yeah, u have to record that one and post it here for us!

these days everything's about Dubstep, like there's nothing more in the world besides that... Native Instrument's kind of proud of Massive and Razor and the like being so used for Gremlin's sounding basslines (be carefull not to through water on them, only beer )... and yeah, I've never even thought about buying a preset pack once... hell, I've never even placed any sounds on the virus that are not mine... so damn easy to make your own on these synths, but hey... there's people interested, let them have it!
Old 10.10.2012, 01:27 AM
Pro
Pro

I'm the flip. I use a lot of the preset packs that are uploaded to the Virus site and also elsewhere - I'd much rather find a patch thats similar to what I want then tweak it from there then design it from scratch, for time constraints as well as my own skill level at synthesis.

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/

Old 01.11.2012, 05:28 PM
Analog synth DSP lover
Amateur

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
trollstep
Now there's a great long-lived Genre!!!
Old 02.11.2012, 12:39 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to mitchiemasha

hmmmmmm!!!!
Old 03.11.2012, 05:24 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyRC View Post
Now there's a great long-lived Genre!!!
What do you mean? I haven't even started it yet ; )
Old 04.11.2012, 05:52 PM
Pro
Pro

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post
Personally, I think of music as being a language. Most of the times people start talking about genres they're just trying to make their taste look like science. And let's be honest about it: it isn't, it's just taste. And the fact some of us have lived through the genesis years of some genre doesn't make us some kind of authority as well, most of the times those are the bitter ones who stand aside and comment how bad it's become. But most of the times, that's just it, it's changed. Most of the times it's the artists that get bored and change, and the public doesn't like their new adventures - think Infected Mushroom, for example. But who would possibly say that Trance as a whole is dead? Have you looked at pictures and videos from Boom Festival, for example? Maybe that's not your kind of thing, and it's fine, but there's still plenty of people around and the scene is pretty much alive and even some labels are still doing well releasing Trance material. Maybe you weren't even thinking of psychedelic trance in the first place, I bet. But that just proves the point, what the fuck is trance to start with? Besides a label, some concept that's used to define stuff that ranges from Tiesto to Psykovsky - and I believe there's like two galaxies in between those worlds, just saying...

Embrace the troll that's within you eheheh these trolls living under the bridges can throw parties there as well, it's like a troll neo-shamanic ritual, insane...

Peace
This quote says it all: "Language is a virus from outerspace." written by William S. Burroughs, and used by Laurie Anderson in a song of same name.
As Cultural Creatives, we should of all humans, remain open-minded to all forms of expression. Just because a person does not *like* a genre, it certainly does not invalidate it's creative ability. True creativity uses critical thinking, looking outside, upside and down from any given genre to make something new and innovative. Rant over, going back up to the mothership...