Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 28.05.2005, 07:42 AM
This forum member lives here

Well thats just it i3......I cant really run VSTI's on my desktop despite its high spec. I mean, alot of the sounds ive loaded into CS80v for example were using like 60%+ cpu on ust 4 note polly. Just crazy....

Softsynths will come into their own, once most people are using dual or quad processors and 64 bit......

But even then....softsynths wont be finding their way into my studio. Hate the things....

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 28.05.2005, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS
But even then....softsynths wont be finding their way into my studio. Hate the things....

DS
we'll see DS.
Give it a year or two and you will be eating those words

cheers

blay
Old 28.05.2005, 10:55 AM
Pro
Pro

I hate those soft synths too which use too much cpu. I use only light native plugins (mostly logic plugins) and dsp powered plugins and most of the synth sound come from my hardware "reason" rack.
Old 28.05.2005, 11:29 AM

I dont actually own any softsynths/VSTi's........well, I guess Reason could be classed as one, but still I only use Reason for it's drum machine.

I think regardless of how softsynths are advancing in terms of sound quality and CPU usage, I will always buy a hardware synth before I succumb to this crazy trend.

Bah humbug

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 28.05.2005, 02:00 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

haha!

this argument cracks me up. old technology vs. new technology.

Sooner or later the people embracing new tools unavailable in dedicated hardware form will be outstretching the sound capabilities possible with old technologies. People using old technologies will sound old.

Thus time plods on, with the new age embracing the new technology, and the people stuck in their ways continuing to be stuck in their ways, and moaning about why people can't appreciate the old way of doing things...

If people don't embrace new technologies, informed by tradition, we would still be writing on papyrus and complaining about the quality of type compared to ink...

yawn.
Old 28.05.2005, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonym
If people don't embrace new technologies....
I'd like to respond to this...but hang on a sec...my legs arn't what they used to be ever since I got cracked copy of Pro53.

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 28.05.2005, 11:07 PM

Actually, Id like to go one step further and state that I actually think all these soft 'analogs' sound very shite to my ears.

More power to you if your music heavily relies on them muhahahahahah

Only joking....softsynths are da best!

Oh dear I should knock off the sarcasm....but its real difficult when you've just spent 4 hours of quality time with a Prophet 5

DS

Old 29.05.2005, 12:36 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Send a message via ICQ to MADSTATION Send a message via MSN to MADSTATION

guys...i mean, COME ON!
it's really obvious to see that some people have their own preference lol
let's not start a software/hardware debate topic #183 in this thread

Personally I think that softsynths are really "getting there", too bad most of them are way too cpu hungry. Anyone saying that softsynths OR hardware sucks is most definately way too narrow minded :P
Old 29.05.2005, 01:05 AM
Analog synth DSP lover
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTATION
let's not start a software/hardware debate topic #183 in this thread
we are hangin by string waiting for this TI. we have to keep our mind away from this scandal. ya but it is personal preference. me myself love the old warm analog sound compared to the emulated va but technology goes a step forward each time with new suprises around the corner that make them sound better and better. If only we could take the old analog and put it in our pc or intergrate it with out the cpu load would just be the dream. Im thinking to myself when am I going to wake up from this TI nightmare!
Old 29.05.2005, 01:36 AM
Administrator

A couple or so forthcoming generations of computer in time will spawn software studios of stunning quality and quantity (instances) of each software synth, where every nuance is catered for, and additions that far exceed what hardware is capable of doing.

When CPU resources become truly abundant, powercore's and other external DSP gear etc. may not even be needed! What comes around, goes around.

Even EQ will eventually be coded to sound excellent, and you'll be able to use several instances of luscious convolution reverb in each song. Everything is heading towards convolution anyway, be it reverb, effects, EQ, dynamics, mic-pre modelling.... literally everything.

Access really need to go places with this TI, and the TI v2 (if/whenever), imho. I was kinda hoping Access' next synth (what we now know as the TI) would make more of a splash with new and diverse features. It sounds great and everything, but really only the Hypersaw and wavetables are new (synthesis wise). The rest is as per the Virus C - just "more of", and the added software control.

I really hope we get to hear more of the TI soon. =/