Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Various > The forum members' music

The forum members' music Here you can post links to your music and listen to and comment other forum members' music.

Old 26.04.2005, 05:39 AM
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by blay

you still havent taken my advice to check out shpongle, have you jase
Dude......I cant even remember you recommending them. I will do my best though to check them out, I promise!

Do you reckon we will have to start taking acid again, cos, like, Im not as young and daring as I once was, and Im kinda scared of taking another trip.....just incase I dont come back.

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 26.04.2005, 09:15 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

blay,simon pospord is an originator in elec. music but i wouldnt see him as a pioneer...

Black:totaly agress with your idea,some of the names on your post are totaly new to me,im gone check that out...corrently im too closed minded about music but im trying to open up latly.
any think alse you might recommend on listening?

i was accualy listening to amon tobin out from out where album few days ago and i found it to be a huge mindstorming music,brilient music!
few of the tracks there accualy take you on a trip somewhere,great soundscapes
Old 02.05.2005, 07:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to BlakeLight

hey tomer, there are some pretty whack dudes out there like Amon Tobin... Id actually recommend looking at the NinjaTune Label Website... there tend to have alot of more IDM and slightly more engaging electronic music. Squarepusher is interesting, he does jazz bass on top of Drum N Bass tracks... some of his tracks sound like video game music, but I think the sounds themselves have alot of potential... its the organization which I find lacking.

I would recommend listening to 'Gaspard de la Nuit' by Maurice Ravel... if you want to listen to a piano piece which uses alot of harmonies which are FAR beyond normal tonic harmonies... but also readily translate themselves to electronic music. I say this because, though Ravel uses what could be construed as standard harmonies, he tends to use every note in every chord as its own voice... in other words, instead of chords creating a texture... like A minor to B minor.... he takes the individual notes and blurs between them by using lots of neighbor tones... and thats why you hear lots of A minors with B and D suspensions stuck in the sound.

I think this is a better way to look at electronic music construction because it transcends the boring and tired conventions of Am-G-F-G-Am... and other harmonic structures of that nature. Just listen to tracks with TONS AND TONS of delay... each line is its own voice, and they coalesce into a mass of sounds that is neither A minor nor any seeming form of harmonic material... it only SEEMS like Aminor... you play an A-C-E but the effects can create a Ravel like sound cluster... another piece of listening... get a hold of Ravel's Daphne und Chloe Suite no. 2... thats a sick piece of music.

Also check out Gyorgy Ligeti... he is the greatest living composer because he is the final death knell to tonality... he organizes his sounds through ways that... finally... seem to do away with the very overplayed chordal resolutions that seem to center around the contrast of juxtaposing the harmonic spectra of the tonic versus the dominant (which, coincidentally, happen to be diametrically opposed... curious thing to notice that babies, when played sounds, naturally like sounds with fifths and octaves... anything else, even pleasant sounding thirds, are interpreted as dissonance. - another note - back in the the 1600's, the major and minor third were thought to be ugly dissonances, much like we seem to find the tritone (1-#4 / b5) to be disconcerting... though that has changed over the last hundred years, just listen to Bartoks second violin concerto where the whole piece is built, not around the 1-5, but rather, around the tritone)

But geting back to Ligeti... listen to the San Francisco Polyphony and Lontano -

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...19821?v=glance

thats a mindblowing CD... and a must for anyone who wants to understand where Music REALLY stands... I could describe it but words pale to the music itself, just listen, and listen to it with the volume up... its the most spacey, weightless, horrifying, and brilliantly liberating music of the last 50 years... listening to Ligeti alongside the second great 'composer' of the twentieth century (anglo-american popular music) gives one, in my opinion an adequate basis to to understand where we lie, and to begin to create new music that has a power and beauty that transcends the seemingly empty ritual uses of music which we use it for now (like using Trance as a form of escapism or pop music like a form of candy bar)

Great music to me, neither satiates with empty calories nor does it escape, rather, like the Beatles, it engages us, and calls us to question our world around us, and also, when truly great, shows us one man/groups perspective on reality, and the ways through which they encounter and embrace the world around them... music acts as an answer to the struggles of life.

Ive got my own music, but Im not gonna post it till I have a whole band playing alongside the music, but I might post some of my Virus improvs if you are interested. Peace!

-BlakeLight
Old 02.05.2005, 07:35 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

thanx mate,im geting the feeling that this is going to effect my own music and way of thinking very deeply.

Im going on a quest,wish me luck
Old 03.05.2005, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomer=Trance
blay,simon pospord is an originator in elec. music but i wouldnt see him as a pioneer...
never referred to him as a pioneer, or even an 'originator'.

I just love his music, and I recommend it to anyone - even if it is not your preferred style, the production is > 8O

cheers

blay
Old 05.05.2005, 04:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to BlakeLight

heres me improvising on my Virus KC in real time... the second one is a mix of two virus'... one doing a bass kick... the other a distort lead.

www.myspace.com/blakelighttragic