Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 23.09.2013, 02:29 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
It has since been deleted, but there **was** rather lengthy spam post that appeared not only here but in several other subject/threads by same new user.

Just wanted to be clear, was not projected towards you, Tweakhead, at all!

The user manual is already available for pulse 2 on Waldorf's website as well as more sample sounds.
will take a look at it! I'm willing to bet, judging by the looks of it, it's got the same type of encoders that went with the Blofeld - not exactly my cup of tea - so really expecting to see if they're going to make something different, this time, with the keyboard version. an extended interface with more knobs, sort like the Virus and Nord Lead, which have in common very instant access to most common parameters (granted the Virus still has a lot of menu diving, not so much with the Nord, but you feel like you're using analogue gear with both). No better example then Evolver vs Mono Evolver Keyboard. With the kind of features included, if they release this extended model with more knobs on it, it may become one of the most interesting monsters of current times!

Rob, don't worry about it! Thought you had posted in the wrong thread, never thought that would be on me

hope everything goes well for Waldorf, would really like to see them make the kind of synthesizers they did in the 90's, this new team. the color scheme on this one reminds me of those times, I particularly enjoy it. also liked the special black edition of the Blofeld more so then the standard one (same thing with the Virus Polar and Snow, I may have a thing for dark instruments ). wouldn't mind to get a yellow or orange hybrid from them in the future. strangely enough, I think their wave tables are still very unique and sound much better then Massive and very different from those on the Virus ti (based on Largo and Blofeld, never got to play with the older ones, even though the Blofeld has a lot of wave shapes from them included), and also really enjoy the kind of modulation options you usually have with them: lfos going into audio rate speed is awsome, being able to use them for FM is also very cool. lfo>osc pitch, envelope>lfo rate with huge amount and also controlling filter cuttoff, then first highpass filter into a comb filter modulated with another lfo and we're talking Waldorf signature sound here, total metalic sharp wierdness eheh (I mean it the good way!)

^^
don't know if this kind of sound I associate with Waldorf is still true with their analogue machines.
Old 23.09.2013, 08:58 AM
Pro
Pro

Well, the original Pulse was their really *only* pure analog machine. The Wave, and Microwave I, both had analog filters to compliment the digital wavetable synthesis. They also had made something that was truly too ahead of it's time that some people on Waldorfian List have often alluded it was what financially broke their back called the AFB, which was like a 4 space rack unit for computer with USB with 16 analog low pass filters, intended to be used with early VST's. Shortly before bankruptcy, they produced a higher tier Q Keyboard only, called the Q+ which simply incorporated that 16 analog filter bank within the exact sound engine of Q Synth, but made it prohibitively expensive and now if you can find the "Ruby Red Q+", it commands easily closer to $4000. USD.
They also produced around same time as the all analog Pulse and Pulse+, a couple standalone analog filter banks, one of which I own called the Mini Works 4-Pole, which has basically everything the Pulse has except the 3 oscillators, having envelopes, LFO's in audio range, and full midi specs with mono input, gate/trigger input of any source with stereo outputs--of which, I have run my Microwave XT through it to add extra warmth because it's essentially same filter type used in Microwave I. Then lastly, the X-Filter, which was dual channel analog filter bank with stereo input and output.
Given the above, Waldorf Analog mono synth does have signature sound--not Moog and not DSI, but can be very warm and nice resonance and very quick envelopes or long with a very easily overdriven filter and can be aggressive as you wish.
I am with you as far as wishing to have a more knobby keyboard version and I happen to like endless encoders but that's very subjective. Also, from newer sound examples posted other day by one of the Sound Programmers on Elektronauts Forum, make me really love the unique analog High Pass Filter on Pulse 2 as well: https://soundcloud.com/gryke

And here, a demo song made with Pulse 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HIUk...ature=youtu.be
Old 23.09.2013, 01:00 PM
Veteran
Veteran

That's one hell of a post Rob!

I knew all about their synthesizers, as any enthusiast would! But was surprised to see they went the extra mile with the standalone filter designs. Wonder why some of this products didn't made it into Vintage Synth! Anyways, being a company much ahead of its time they've also embraced software instruments early on.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/dpole.php

This is one of those gems that not everyone knows and most people don't take seriously enough, but by running white noise into it I make some leads and sounds I can't reproduce anywhere else...

This is part of their "legacy collection" (think that's the name) that easily gets dismissed because this plug-ins look rather old and not much appealing to the eyes, but they sound (still today) absolutely amazing - if you take the time to explore them!

So I wasn't surprised to see them presenting Largo! Know when people say Access can't possibly make a plug-in based on the Virus code? That's exactly what Waldorf has done with Largo! Sounds amazing (not that I think could replace a Blofeld) and can compliment any synthesizer setup with the convenience of having THAT sound integrated with the host software. I saw this as a sign that the new Waldorf is true to its history in that it seems like they want to present the public with the products they'd want for themselves, even when it means serious risk taking! And indeed, Waldorf Largo shares the same filters and many stuff from Blofeld! Doesn't seem like it's hurt their sales much though.
Old 23.09.2013, 09:45 PM
Pro
Pro

Talking

That "D-Pole Filter Plug-in" is actually the VST version of my Waldorf Mini-Works 4-Pole standalone filter. (The 'D' being 4th letter in alphabet and think there's even some yet "James Bond" association to the name, like all else Waldorf).
So now that am thinking about it, Waldorf's AFB (Analog Filter Bank) rack of 16 hardware analog low pass filters with USB, intended on used "integrated" into DAW and VST software **could** be viewed as 'one of the first' to implement hardware integration as it makes sense now that when they went bankrupt, straight away went over to Access Music to help with development.

In any case, looking forward to which direction that Access is going to go next and would love to see a hybrid or all-out new Virus with analog oscillators, filters, et al, with a long ribbon controller and 69 knobs

Will be visiting my parents and brother around Thanksgiving/November, and Sweetwater is only another 1 1/2 hours North of them in my 'home State', so plan on taking a Pulse 2 for a test drive in their rather cool studios there at Sweetwater and will report back thereafter.

Waldorf Nave App is so freaking awesome, it makes me wonder if it will remain on iOS or if a WIN/MAC VST version be made?
Old 24.09.2013, 01:46 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post

Waldorf Nave App is so freaking awesome, it makes me wonder if it will remain on iOS or if a WIN/MAC VST version be made?
certainly hope so! maybe it will happen, this being Waldorf here!

but I see that some manufacturers didn't miss the opportunity to jump at the iOS market without translating those efforts to the plug-in market afterwards: the Animoog is another really interesting product by Moog that would presumably sell a lot if it was made a plug-in, but never made it into that market.

my guess is that they're using this as a chance to promote their other products and to test some ideas. funny thing is: you don't usually see Moog developing software instruments like they did here, and many times I thought that these products are more daring and cool and future-oriented then those presented for pro audio applications!

But it's interesting to see Waldorf reaching out for that market as well and producing one of the most exciting pieces of software for the iOS indeed. Makes me wonder what Access could possibly be doing in secret on their labs...

http://www.waldorf-music.info/en/lector-overview.html

it's funny how this sort of plug-in gets easily overlooked and presents a good chance to take sound design to new realms and, indeed, produce unique sounds! just saying! this kind of thing doesn't come buy to often on the digital realm!
Old 24.09.2013, 02:55 PM
Pro
Pro

So true! I am treating Nave as I would any of my hardware synths by using the Behringer iStudio iS202 Dock, running it's audio output into my audio interface...and the kicker is...you might as well say LECTOR **is part of NAVE** because they have made a rather unique 25 band formant filter and wavetable that lets you: 1) Type-in *any* text and have it turned into advanced wavetables AND SPEECH which can be totally manipulated/mangled, and 2)you can import *any audio/and or file* and create customized wavetables via new spectra wavetable synthesis!!
I like the tactile interface of the iPad but also connect the QuNexus to the iStudio to play even more dynamically...but kicker is, you can DO BOTH and it really opens-up expressiveness and apparently Waldorf's engineers teamed-up with the engineer whom made the "NLog App" or similar name.
I am realistically good on hardware synths and if NAVE App as well as something like the GNome Sequencer App is only thing I use the iPad for, am quite happy...but there's even an editor now available for iOS to program my Microwave XT deeper than 37+ knobs can....these are indeed interesting times because you are even *just starting* to see some of these instrument Apps be ported to Android now, so it's not 'some fad'.

If Access were to come out even with a new hardware synth that had a fully developed App or hell, even made so a tablet can slide into "the landing strip of empty space" for more in-depth editing on top of tons of knobs????

What I am really impressed with is Waldorf had yet another iOS update for Nave yesterday...the second one since iOS 7 was released in a week!
I also got a mailing on Waldorfian List yesterday of an iOS editor template for the new Pulse 2.
Access should surely be working on *something* that's going to blow everyone's minds with the evolution of musician interfaces, Touch OSC, the Analog Spring, and the DSI Prophet 12 is being sought after as some studio's new 'flagship synth'...would love to know what's on their slab deep down in their lab...and no, that's not rap!
Old 26.09.2013, 01:50 AM
Pro
Pro

Here's a short but cool demo song done with Pulse 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HIUkU4UbJc