Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 21.01.2013, 12:21 PM
New here
New here

Default Dead virus B, possible solution

Hello, i have bought a dead virus B
I thought it was just a matter of power but who had made ​​an attempt to repair ruining the logic board.

Official assistance did not answer me, what can I do?

. sell it as spare parts (good appearance)
. search for a logic board from someone (anyone?)

my trusted repairman tried to restore it but unfortunately it seems to have affected the logic board and will not turn on.
Old 21.01.2013, 06:08 PM
Pro
Pro

Although I do not have a technical answer for you but rather a pragmatic humanistic suggestion and if you bought it recently off ebay, file a claim as not being represented as it stated. You have not stated whether this is a Virus B YOU have owned for X-amount of time/years/months and what, if anything, happened to make you aware of something going very wrong??!
IF you purchased it locally off another recently and this just happened or upon firstly ever turning it on you discovered this--get your money back. The missing pieces to your story might help in anyone possibly diagnosing your problem or can relate a simiar probelm. Power supplies in your studio area should be not only surge protector but also power conditioned to protect from RFI/EMI damage as well. FYI--Furman make a $35.usd 6 plug outlet in a heavy duty metal box that protects from ALL aformentioned things that our sensative instruments need benefit from AND this power outlet supply has a FIFTEEN FOOT heavy duty line on it and is called Furman SS-6B Pro Plugs. Hope this helps in future and that you can post more info on how you both obtained your Virus B and circumstances leading to your current circumstance (mind the pun).
Robert
Old 22.01.2013, 12:23 PM
New here
New here

I got the virus from a private person who sold it as a broken unit, took my chances, he did not say that had allegedly tried to fix it ... has done more damage than what was there
Old 22.01.2013, 09:32 PM
Pro
Pro

Hope you are able to sort it and be the winner in the end! If I for instance had something onviously beyond my knowhow that needed repaired on these fine instruments, I would gladly pay for an out of warranty repair, given that they would not reach an impass that would require perhaps a whole new board that Access simply no longer stocks.
I found out via a warranty I have from Korg on a still-new Radias Keyboard, that an authorized repair center on their official list is no farther than 2 miles from me and upon speaking to the repair shop on phone just to know what they work on, they told me they can work on most synths, save from items requiring mentioned brand new circuit boards when something is no longer under warranty. So, since I do not gig nor really move my synths from the rack/stand set-up in home studio and use power conditioners as a very pragmatic precaution--I do not expect to have any real big issues. Here in the USA, there's a shop up in Wisconsin called "The Synth Spa" (website of same name), that specialize in certain synths BUT I have a friend whom has used them to have any of the synths he has sold given a complete check-out and bill of health and they indeed will work on ANY brand; one just has to call or email them firstly and go from there--in case you needed to know. If the cost were to be prohibitive mailing a full virus keyboard to Access's repair division and out of warranty, would have to make a logical descision on that one. Kudos to you and people like TIMO on here that can do these open heart surgeries on their synths!!!
Old 23.01.2013, 09:17 AM
New here
New here

tnx namnibor, I live in Italy. there is a repairer of instruments in my city, but usually replaces the parts but not repair them. Shipping to usa for an attempt to repair costs too much.
I try to recontact access.

or I could buy the microprocessor on the internet and replace it myself, but if the problem was not that?
Old 23.01.2013, 11:32 AM
Pro
Pro

Did you contact Access through regular customer service or did you contact Access' official hardware repair center in Germany at this website: http://www.synthesizerservice.de/index.php?lang=en
Hope this helps you out as have read time and again they get back to you rather quickly and should tell you options. YOUR situation is the exact reason I am highly picky of whom I purchase *any* gear from and have been lucky on ebay in dealing with same sellers pretty much over the last two years it took to build-up my synth-based studio since am now a USA Military Disabled Veteran at age 49 and have all time in world for getting back into music as a form of 'therapy' on many levels. When a potential buy is already broken and the seller has attempted to "fix it", you NEVER know what they did that may have made originally a "easy fix" for you. Sometimes being pragmatic in the quest of being "thrifty", can end-up at times costing you more heartaches in the end. Is your Virus B a Keyboard or rack/desktop version? By the way, a really great tip that was given to me a while back that I will pass onto you to prevent killing gear with accidentally using wrong power supply and frying any gear is: Simply use a paint pen marker or tape wrapped around each of your power supplies, and label each power supply name of instrument it goes to. On some other pro-forums I have read over and over the number one reason for probelms with otherwise very well-built gear such as our Virus is power supply polarity issues and not using power conditioners for your gear. Alternating Current is exactly that; a pulse that moves quickly back and forth at lightening speed. Power grids pretty much in ALL Industrial Nations have NOT "kept-up" with population growth. My brother works in this field. So instead of extending the power grid properly, they "step-up" that electrical pulse to compensate, which makes it VERY essential to use more than your discount store power strips that claim "surge protection". Yes, a "surge protector" does what it says it should BUT by the time the surge or spike is high enough to be where it reaches the rather high tolerances of your "consumer power strip surge protectors", it could be too late in that it has already potentially harmed our very picky instruments that sculpt sound using electricity in intricate circuit boards. I should add the obvious but not everyone reads their manuals but when not using your instruments, it's a very good practice to not simply turn-off rather, unplug even your power conditioner from the wall source because just as many things when turned off, STILL may only go into "stand-by mode" as an example both my Waldorf Microwave XT and Waldorf Q Rack synth indeed are in passive stand-by mode when it appears all is "off".
You most probably know all this already and if anything hope it helps anyone that reads this post. Even my seperate DAW custome-build tower computer that is ONLY for audio/visual editing and recording, when "turned-off" the X3 power usb ports are active AND could hear each of the two large and fast hard drives "click-on and off" from time to time, so I simply unplug that power conditioner until am wanting actively use my audio interface and DAW PC.
Good fortune to repairing your Virus B--it's a very powerful beast and can do SO MUCH more than what ANY preset collection can convey! The deepr you go the more potential you realize the beast has as I call it akin to "Alice in Wonderland's", going down the "rabbit hole" of new discoveries.
Robert
Old 23.01.2013, 11:43 AM
New here
New here

Tnx Robert, it's a desktop version.
i contacted the official access customer care that point me to sinthesizerservice.de

Tnx for your time and reply