Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 30.08.2010, 07:27 PM
New here
New here

Unhappy Midi in doesn't work!

Hello everybody, here's Xebb from Italy.

My english is not perfect but i hope you could understand me anyhow.

I used to connect my Virus TI Desktop to a master keyboard via midi, with no troubles. 2 weeks ago Virus' midi-in quitted working, for unknown reasons. I connected the Virus via usb to a Macbook, with Logic 8, and the sounds came out from the Mac, not from the Virus..

(the audio outputs work because i tried the demo song with no problems)

Today i tried Midi Patchbay software, and altough the Mac recognize both the master keyboard and the Virus, no sound comes out from the TI.

My question is: what's the problem??

Every help is appreciated, thank you very much and compliments for the forum!
Old 31.08.2010, 02:30 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

In cases like this, it's best to troubleshoot by eliminating possible reasons, starting with the simplest. I'd do the following:
  • Check that you didn't accidentally change the global MIDI channel on the Virus. Switch the Virus to Multi mode, maybe some other channel will respond.
  • Make sure your MIDI keyboard is working and sending on the correct MIDI channel. Connect it to another synth/module if you have one, or connect it to PC and use a MIDI monitor software like MIDI-OX.
  • Connect your keyboard directly to the Virus, let's take PC out of the picture. When you play the keyboard, does a note symbol appear on Virus' display? If yes, this means that MIDI in is working, and the problem is somewhere else. If no, try another MIDI cable, and if that doesn't help either - well, maybe MIDI input is indeed broken.
Old 06.09.2010, 11:30 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreg View Post
In cases like this, it's best to troubleshoot by eliminating possible reasons, starting with the simplest. I'd do the following:
  • Check that you didn't accidentally change the global MIDI channel on the Virus. Switch the Virus to Multi mode, maybe some other channel will respond.
  • Make sure your MIDI keyboard is working and sending on the correct MIDI channel. Connect it to another synth/module if you have one, or connect it to PC and use a MIDI monitor software like MIDI-OX.
  • Connect your keyboard directly to the Virus, let's take PC out of the picture. When you play the keyboard, does a note symbol appear on Virus' display? If yes, this means that MIDI in is working, and the problem is somewhere else. If no, try another MIDI cable, and if that doesn't help either - well, maybe MIDI input is indeed broken.
Hi, thank you for your answer! well i think the midi input is broken, tomorrow i will get it repaired. Cheers!
Old 07.09.2010, 06:05 AM
Infektion taking hold...

I recently experienced midi silence as the result of sending midi reset command from miditemps midi matrix - this leads to defaulting all cc messages including volume to 0 - so it seems like virus doesn't respond to midi. In fact it responds. Changing program solves this if this could be the case.
Old 07.09.2010, 01:09 PM
New here
New here

well i have to correct myself. the note symbol appears on the display, and if i switch into multi mode i hear the basic sound, but in the single mode i hear nothing.. so i guess the midi input is not broken. what could be the problem?

gjvti: what do you mean with "sending midi reset command from miditemps midi matrix" and "defaulting all cc messages including volume to 0"? thank you!
Old 07.09.2010, 01:10 PM
New here
New here

well i have to correct myself. the note symbol appears on the display, and if i switch into multi mode i hear the basic sound, but in the single mode i hear nothing.. so i guess the midi input is not broken. what could be the problem?

gjvti: what do you mean with "sending midi reset command from miditemps midi matrix" and "defaulting all cc messages including volume to 0"? thank you!
Old 08.09.2010, 06:24 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Midi reset or panic is used in advanced midi switchers/mergers to terminate stuck notes and controllers. Probably something like that was sent by accident from you daw. My miditemp midi matrix sends a bunch of midi commands after which current Virus program becomes silent. I correct this changing program back and forth. Must admit that Korg M3 doesn't become silent after defaulting midi with miditemps panic command. So this is Virus specific issue. Different machines react different on various midi commands. If none of your Virus single programs generate sound, then however you should check all your virus global settings very carefully - midi channels, routings and so on. If you still can't find the problem, you can try to hard reset virus pressing "Arp Edit" while plugging power cable, if I remember it correctly !!!! Please double check the reset command - it is discussed here on forum quite frequently - there were two different resets on Virus I think.
Old 08.09.2010, 12:22 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by xebb View Post
Have you checked the Global MIDI channel in Virus' Config section?
It should match the MIDI channel selected on your keyboard.
My bet is they are different.
Old 09.09.2010, 03:32 PM
New here
New here

hey guys! thank you very much for your answers.. i have some good news: Boreg's bet is successful

during a jam session in my reharsal room someone touched knobs at random, this is the only explanation

cheers!

ps now i'm going to read the manual very carefully