Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 02.02.2009, 04:01 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Quote:
"64 bit drivers, 32 bit plug-in" vs. "64 bit drivers, 64 bit plug-in".

Marc (and Access) couldn't see the point in the former of those.
The application doesn't need to actually operate in 64 bit mode, it can run in 32 bit mode if it likes. But we need it to run on a 64 bit operating system to get rid of the glass ceiling when it comes to RAM. The main reason for making one is not so that VC runs faster or better somehow by using 64bits to address memory locations, it would be so that you can run VC and also have more than 4gb of RAM. Pretty simple, if you ask me...

Is there a way to manually override the warning at the start of the VC installation that prevents installation on 64bit OS's? What would be the consequences of simply overriding it?

It would be funny if we figure out how to override the critical stop error message, install VC on 64bit OS anyway, and it turns out to work perfectly fine... :p

-Annikk
Old 03.02.2009, 09:20 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
It would be funny if we figure out how to override the critical stop error message, install VC on 64bit OS anyway, and it turns out to work perfectly fine...

-Annikk
Yes!! would be wonderfull!!! Please, Access or the God Marc, is able to response that question... Is able to run in 64 bits mode using a 32 bit comm model??

Thank you very much!!
Old 03.02.2009, 09:43 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordiMayor View Post
Yes!! would be wonderfull!!! Please, Access or the God Marc, is able to response that question... Is able to run in 64 bits mode using a 32 bit comm model??

Thank you very much!!
marc wouldn't try. this time i've consulted the oracle.
Old 05.02.2009, 12:31 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

I figured it was pretty unlikely. I've known some programs to display behaviour like that before though, and when overridden, seem perfectly happy. Which is why I wondered. :>

-Annikk
Old 06.02.2009, 05:48 PM
New here
New here

There is a very simple reason you can't use the TI integration under 64-bit OSes, drivers MUST be 64-bit to work. Applications can use virtualization layers like WOW64 (Windows on Windows 64-bit) that allow 32-bit apps to run in a 64-bit OS, but you absolutely can not run 32-bit drivers in a 64-bit OS. The only way we will ever get this is for Access to write the 64-bit driver we need to talk to the TI over USB. In theory, a 32-bit Virus Control plugin could talk to a 64-bit TI driver using a host sequencer's bit bridge function, but my guess is that Access wants a pure 64-bit solution when they release it. This makes sense considering how DAWbench has shown that 32-bit plugins using bit bridge can take a serious performance hit due to the virtualization layer.

Its really frustrating too, considering I am about to upgrade the DAW to a Core i7 box with 6GB of RAM and over a 2TB disk volume, and I need 64-bit Windows to take advantage of both. Oh well, at least 32-bit XP will scream until Access gets their act together. Maybe I can get more native 64-bit plugins in that time as well.
Old 11.02.2009, 10:57 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Yeah, I've decided to just stick with 32bit and gather x64 native plugins until my Virus is (someday) ready for the switch

It would actually be really great timing if Access aimed for an x64 driver that (somewhat) coincides with the release of Windows 7, which is still about 6+ months away I believe. I'd much rather they got it working well than rushed it. Even if it came some time after then (NAMM 2010? )
Old 12.02.2009, 11:17 PM
New here
New here

Well its going to happen at some point. Everywhere I've read, Microsoft says Windows 7 is the last version of Windows that will maintain a 32-bit version. It's all 64-bit from Windows 8 onward...

Still kinda pissed TI OS 3 didn't come with the 64-bit drivers...
Old 13.02.2009, 08:56 AM
Infektion taking hold...

I'm not so bothered about not having 64 bit drivers right now (although it would be nice), but I am concerned that the Ti's life-span will allow for development of 64 bit drivers - if you see what I mean?
Old 13.02.2009, 02:46 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Will be buying a laptop in a couple of weeks time and it will be using the Vista Home Premium 64-bit OS. A Virus TI would be the only thing unsupported by it.

Quote:
I'm not so bothered about not having 64 bit drivers right now (although it would be nice), but I am concerned that the Ti's life-span will allow for development of 64 bit drivers - if you see what I mean?
I'm sure if/when Access release 64-bit drivers, they will be for the TI 1 and 2. I think it would be bad business sense for them to do otherwise, given that the TI|1 must be their most popular synth yet.
Old 13.02.2009, 05:51 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Hope you're right.

If I could have Virus and Powercore available on 64 bit, I'd jump straight away!