Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 12.11.2004, 02:09 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Default Wonky pots

I've got two potentiometers on my Indigo v1 that seem a little vulnerable, in that they wiggle about a bit loosely from side-to-side when touched. (They work perfectly fine, though).

Before I break open the manufacturers warranty seal on the bottom of the Virus to get into the chassis to see if there are any bolts or the like that can be tightened in any way, or similar, what could likely be the cause of it, and hence would it benefit me having a root around?

If it is simply just a couple of bolts that probably need tightening, I'll dive into it.

Thnx
Old 12.11.2004, 03:09 PM

Quote:
If it is simply just a couple of bolts that probably need tightening, I'll dive into it.
i think thats all it will be, nut i think you better wait for a more qualified response before taking her apart
Old 13.11.2004, 04:32 PM

Im not sure if potentiometers are actually screwed into the circuit board. Normally potentiometers are self contained and click into place then soldered onto the circuit board. Usually the only way to get rid of wobbly knob is to replace it. You see the acutal wobbling is from within the potentiometer itself...not its connection to the circuit board. But to be honest I wouldnt worry about it....all potentiometers are designed to have a bit of give...some more than others. (hence lateral movement sometimes). The important thing is that the knob is securely attached...lateral movement does not denote a problem...its a matter of taste. EVERY synth (new and old) always had/has one or two knowbs that were wobbly. The exception being with the Nord 3 when a knob physically came off in my hand (just so happens I was trying to think of ways to get a refund hehehe)....

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 14.11.2004, 04:01 AM

what did you think of the lead 3 DS?

very nearly bought one before the TI line was released
Old 15.11.2004, 02:27 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Default stomped on my virus b

I accidently stepped backwards on stage and bent my 'release' knob. It's wobbly now and has been working ok and I have no trouble with it. I've opened her up and it definately solderd to a ciruit board and like someone said it is just inside the pot housing that there has been some bending. I may even attemp a refit if I could match the pot.
moral of the story, dont vertically mount your virus at foot level on stage.
Old 15.11.2004, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blay
what did you think of the lead 3 DS?

very nearly bought one before the TI line was released
I used the Nord 3 and Virus KC side by side for about 3 weeks before deciding to sell the N3. This is my opinion.....

*The Virus is alot more authentic sounding then a N3. The Virus is warmer, fatter, darker and more flexible. Dont get me wrong, the N3 is an ok synth.....but it just lacked personality. I think 'bright' sounding VA's are perhaps the most digital sounding. It just depends what you prefer...

Virus = warm, dark and moody
Nord 3 = bright and digitized

*Build quality of the Virus is far superior. I dont like light materials....there not so robust. Keyboard action of Virus KB, KC, TI cannot be beaten. Knobs and buttons very good too.

*The Virus has more personality.....i.e its more recognisble. I just found the Nord 3 to be a little nothingness. FOr ?1300+ I want a synth with a trademark tone.

If you ever get the chance to comapre a N3 toa VIrus...you'll see what I mean!

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 15.11.2004, 04:58 PM

thanks for your info.....

3 weeks! didnt last long next to the virus

it something that i would still consider adding to my studio at a later date.
i like the usability - and like you say - it is good for cold, harsh a nd very digitised sounds
Old 15.11.2004, 05:16 PM

The ideal VA setup in my opinion is Virus and N3. Maybe one day ill get a nord3 again....but....synths are moving on nowadays....

If I do plunge for the TI (and looks like I will)...then id be happy to have that as my only VA....and start buying more analogs as when I can afford to. One thing that is seriously lacking in my set up is some good drum mchines

I'd like to get a genuine TR808, 909, Sequentual drumtracks, LinnDrum. The best drum macines ever!

DS

Old 15.11.2004, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS
The ideal VA setup in my opinion is Virus and N3. Maybe one day ill get a nord3 again....but....synths are moving on nowadays....
that would be my dream setup too.
its been a while since the release of the 3, and now with access upping the ante perhaps we will see a successor to the 3 sometime in the next 12 months? if not youd surely think that clavia are starting to get a little out of touch in the va market
Old 16.11.2004, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Thanks guys, DScreams and GRS are right in that the pots are bent. I emailed Access who in turn referred me to their hardware depot, who let me know the pots would need replacing to solve the prob.
They emailed pics regards what to do, with a disclaimer saying a service person should carry it out, but I'll dive into it anyway. Just need to grab said variety of pot (not the intoxicating kind), and a decent soldering iron as the one I've got is crud...

I'll post pics as/when I'll get around to doing it.

### UPDATE: I HAVE SINCE RE-POTTED THE KNOBS ON THE VIRUS. - YOU CAN FIND A FULL POTTING MASTERCLASS COMPLETE WITH PICTURES: http://infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=31443 ###

Last edited by Timo : 05.03.2011 at 06:28 PM.