Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 11.10.2006, 06:59 AM
New here
New here

Wow! I've got my credit card out and ready to purchase my first VIRUS

Hey all -- I've decided I want a C but I can still find a brand new Classic for just a couple 100 bucks more (and I probably wouldn't utilize the C's increased mod sources and can live w/out the polyphony & undo button : ).

BUT -- What I think I'm hearing in all this is there was some crappy product out there - stand alone, not MIDIed into anything and it was the knobs.

Doesn't everyone think that a brand new Classic would have better grade knobs/pots?

Thanx in advance,
Wayne
Old 25.08.2009, 03:02 PM
New here
New here

hi,

My rack XL knobs have started to behave like mention above.
Still any idea? Anyway to have these changed? Cause it seems like its the knobs themselves which are screwed (...!)
Old 06.10.2009, 05:05 PM
Infektion taking hold...

My Virus Rack does this, and I am pretty certain that the reason is simply the knob wearing out.

The second knob from the left (filter cutoff) does it badly, whereas the fifth knob (env amount) doesn't. The jumpy knob feels looser, presumably because it has been used more.

Today I found out that turning the knob while pressing it in stops it jumping.

Is it possible to tighten the knobs up, or replace them?

Daniel
Old 06.10.2009, 06:05 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

From what I've seen on the forums here, it seems it's a common problem with the 360º limitless rotary knobs used specifically on the rack units (Virus Rack, Rack XL, etc.). I guess the only way to solve them is to replace the pots (potentiometers/knobs).

Not many people have problems with the standard knobs (the ones that only rotate a limited 270º).
Old 15.01.2010, 12:05 PM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
From what I've seen on the forums here, it seems it's a common problem with the 360º limitless rotary knobs used specifically on the rack units (Virus Rack, Rack XL, etc.). I guess the only way to solve them is to replace the pots (potentiometers/knobs).

Not many people have problems with the standard knobs (the ones that only rotate a limited 270º).

Agreed, is just the pot wearing out. Recently had my rack serviced and had a couple replaced cost like £20 for each encoder to be changed. Works great now.
Old 29.11.2016, 08:34 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

I have replaced all the encoders, on my Access Virus Rack XL. The encoders are from a different brand, but are physically and technically identical.

It didn't help, no difference.
Clavia Nord Modular G2X
Novation Supernova II PRO X
Yamaha Motif ES Rack
Access Virus|TI PØLAR
Dave Smith Instruments - Prophet 08