Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 03.02.2004, 02:30 PM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

i dont see why
i think mine and your problem is totaly different
when i turn the cutoffs knob it jumps i dont see any connection to the midi interface
Old 03.02.2004, 03:42 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomer=Trance
i dont see why
i think mine and your problem is totaly different
when i turn the cutoffs knob it jumps i dont see any connection to the midi interface
Oh yes, my problem is/was exactly the same as yours, I suppose... Before, I used to have my Virus Rack hooked up with just a midi keyboard, and sometimes through a computer with just a basic soundblaster interface. Very often when I adjusted the filter cut off knob, the value suddenly jumped! Same problem?
This way the adjustment of the knob goes directly into the motherboard of the virus...

But now, with the new midi interface this problem seemes to be completely gone!!! I think that every time you adjust the knob, the virus will send a midi signal through the midi interface, to the computer, and then back again the same way to the virus. Don't ask me exactly why, but I don't experience the same problem even more. I'm not really sure if the adjustment signal travels both ways, or just through the computer, but anyway it works!?
Old 03.02.2004, 08:29 PM

i still dont see aconnection between the two
will get a 2X2 port next week and change my midi setup
Old 04.02.2004, 01:32 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Before I had just one single midi cable between my midi keyboard and the virus. (From midi out on the keyboard to midi in on the virus, of course).
But now the virus is also hooked up on its midi out. Every controller change you make, including turning of the cut off knob, is now transmitted through the midi interface and into the computer. But! it is also transmitted the other way back, from the computer through the midi interface and back to the virus. This way the Virus will get a sort of conformation about what you have just done with the controller knob.

Midi equipment, such as a synth, isn't just receiving midi commands about what to do. It also tells what it really does by sending midi information on the midi out.
This way you just not only send information to the synth, you will also get info back.

------

It's a bit of like when you download something from the internet... Your computer isn't only receiving data. It also send info back to the server about witch filesize it has received etc. If there should be some difference this will be fixed. Without this "two-wayed" traffic almost every file you'd tried to download should be corrupt.

According to Access the problem with jumpy knobs is known, but not (as they say) "a really major problem". Maybe it's just basically because most Virus Racks are hokked up with decent midi interfaces, and this owners never experience the problems? Seemes pretty logical to me...

Like i said before. I don't fully understand exactly why it works, but now the problem seemes to be completely gone...
Old 04.02.2004, 03:31 PM

thats how i still work and thats what i want to do
Old 04.02.2004, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picato
This way you just not only send information to the synth, you will also get info back.
you mean automation?
well yeah i know it works like that but im not able to set up my midi like this at the moment
have only 1 in and out from my audiophile
maybe i'l save some cash and use the game port
Old 04.02.2004, 06:18 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomer=Trance
Quote:
Originally Posted by picato
you mean automation?
Well, not really. Automation is when you first record or program a program change, like for example filter cutoff, and then play it back from the computer. What I'm talking about is something like this, which way the signal travels:

Basic setup:

Cutoff knob ---> Virus motherboard
(The signal from the knob never actually leave the virus)

With midi interface:

Cutoff knob ---> midi out (on virus) ---> midiinterface ---> computer --->midi interface ---> midi in on the virus --->virus motherboard

You see the difference? It looks like with the midi interface and computer the signal goes an unnessecary long and complicated way. but there's a heavy traffic all the time along this way. You adjust the knob from lets say, 45 to 46 and then the virus tells this to the computer that echo this signal back to the synth. When the virus has changed the cut off from 45 to 46 it tells your computer this, then the knob goes from 46 to 47, the computer notice and so on... If you adjust the knob from 50 to 100, no matter how fast, there is actually about 100 different signals back and forth the signal way!!!

IN BASIC TERMS: This way your computer acts like some kind of babysitter that all the time control what your synth is actually doing. And it wont allow any jumps.
Old 04.02.2004, 08:29 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickrodot
The problem has been there through a few OS updates and hasnt changed when updating the OS. It is also the same when my virus is totally disconnected from my computer and running on its own. The first two knobs are the most jumpy (filt 1 and filt 2) probably because they are the most used. I've tried changing the pots around but this didnt help either.
Do you use both the midi IN and OUT of the virus in your setup?
Old 04.02.2004, 09:07 PM

not at the moment
need to get myself some more midi in\outs
maybe i'l get a small m audio 2X2 port
Old 06.02.2004, 05:31 PM
New here
New here

At the moment i'm running the virus through a MIDI interface with the IN and OUT connected. My deadboard is also connected to the interface not the virus. I still have the same problem though. I have tried running the virus standalone and it does the same thing.

I think its a software issue like Access says.