Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 22.07.2011, 05:30 PM
This forum member lives here

Default (mid 2011) Mac Mini for Logic + Virus

Since the new Mac Minis can be configured with Core i7 processors, I was wondering if there is anything about these that would make them unsuitable for running Logic, with the long-term goal of possibly connecting a Virus or other hardware to it.

I know the new mini meets system requirements for Logic, so I'm not asking if the software will run, I'm looking for any pros or cons (mostly cons since the obvious pro is that the mini is very cost effective system). For example, I know the Core i7s in the mini are only dual core, but supposedly Logic doesn't exploit 4 cores anyway, so perhaps not an issue? I also wonder if the Core i7 would be able to consistently achieve max potential (run in TurboMode) in such a constrained case, especially if I put a 7200 rpm drive in it.

I see folks running Logic on a Macbook so I assume the Mini is no more limiting than a laptop?

Since the new Minis ship with Lion, is that going to be a problem for current version of Virus OS? (I'm not even sure how compatible the latest version of Logic is with it)

All suggestions appreciated.

Last edited by MBTC : 23.07.2011 at 03:02 AM.
Old 24.07.2011, 03:30 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

I bought the first generation Intel MacMini back in late 2006 (or early 2007).

It started out as a 1.5 GHz Core Solo processor with a 5400 RPM hard drive. Then I maxed out the memory to 2 GB. I got decent performance with Ableton Live but couldn't run more than a handful of synth plug-ins simultaneously (Reaktor, Absynth etc.).

Then I read that it was possible to upgrade the processor so I bought a 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo and while I was installing that I slapped a 7200 RPM Hitachi drive in there and I'm still using that machine today. Never really felt the need to upgrade as I can easily run several instances of Reaktor without it choking.

The new ones look pretty slick and I'd love to buy one with 8 GB of RAM and a solid state drive. I bet those bitches fly! Seeing how I owe the Illegal Rapist Syndicate several grand in back taxes I'll have to see how long this one holds out.

I use a little 7" LCD touchscreen for taking it out of the house. It's been a great system and I hope they never discontinue the Mini. It's an ingenious design and one helluva bargain.

Old 25.07.2011, 04:27 AM

I ended up ordering the 2.7ghz Core i7 one with 8GB and 750GB 7200rpm drive (SSD option seemed nice but too expensive when combined with a drive with a reasonable amount of space on it). The processor was as high as you could go without getting the server OS.

I really bought it for non-music making purposes, but from not only your feedback but what I've read elsewhere, it will be well suited for its secondary purpose which will be to try out Logic and music making on the Mac in general -- at least then if I do go back to PC I will have a fair basis for comparison. That said, it will probably be some time before I can really report back here about how its going with Logic combined with hardware, since I'm not planning to invest a lot in the Mac platform initially, but dabble with it when I get some spare time cycles (and dollars). It is nice to be able to get what appears to be a reasonably powerful Mac for a relatively cheap price. I've got a 4-port KVM switch that I plan to add it to, use with existing monitor setup etc.

Last edited by MBTC : 25.07.2011 at 01:33 PM.