Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 29.11.2004, 12:42 PM
This forum member lives here

Default Has song writing ever taken you near to the edge of dispair?

Sure has for me. I spent an intensive weekend with m8's and the sole objective was to get a completed 6 min track done from start to finish. We did it on reason (synths and drums), virus kc and some other softsynths (from what i can remember anyways).

It just sent me mental. Ive come to realise I cant work with more than 2 people at any one time. Too many ideas going off....

How do you guys cope with this kinda challenge?

Cheers

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 29.11.2004, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Too many chefs making a one pot of soup. The only way to get a big collaborations to work is to have each an own area of responsibility. Like a drummer, guitarist, keyboardist, sound technician, etc. For example if there are five people mixing, mastering and playing keyboards it's a doomed project.
Old 04.12.2004, 06:15 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via ICQ to Wandering Kid

come back later and see if you can get the ball rolling again.
Old 04.12.2004, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Muahaha! Classic! "The Scream feat. Access Virus B desktop".
Old 04.12.2004, 08:57 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to Panopticon

I find it really hard to collaborate with anyone at the same time. About all I can do is lay down some basic tracks and hand them off to everyone in my band and say, "Ok, now everybody go do something with them." From the completely disjointed wreck that comes out of that, I'll take bits and pieces, rearrange, mangle, etc. Every now and then something good will come of it...most of the time my collaborative efforts end up sucking pretty bad.

Jamming is different, usually we can do better stuff in that kind of scenario.
Old 04.12.2004, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to 3o3

It depends on how the person is that i am working with;

I hate people that -"No my idea is better - I am smarter than you therefor I'll make this and that" and it doesn't even sound good.

A coop is 50-50-thing. Just like an relationship. hehe

"Welcome to the Berserk-Inn - If one customer is difficult, no-one survives" - http://www.4barloop.com/
Old 04.12.2004, 01:29 PM

Hey that looks like me! You should send that to Access!

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 04.12.2004, 07:04 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via ICQ to Wandering Kid

whenever i take the reigns of the virus, you can sort of hear the supersaw coming out. 2 of my mates start thinking...hes turning it into trance again...and sure enough both will vote me off the virus so they can swing things around and dirty it up a bit. one of my mates is very good at making helicopter sounds with the LFO. he has this unique talent. every patch he edits eventually turns into inaudible sub bass sludge. then he twiddles the LFO (its always the last thing he twiddles cuz it doesnt make much sense to him). voila. another helicopter. he can make it sound like its a helicopter over the horizon. widen the filter cutoff, bit of resonance, sub osc on 0. he can make the helicopter sound like its right overhead - sub osc on full, resonance 0, attack on both envelopes 0. the genius bit was when he opened the LFO to make the helicopter start up then take off and disappear over the horizon. was funny as hell but we achieved nothing that day. the song in the works was total pants.

'i heard another helicopter again on my virus and felt an eternal scream passing through nature.'

i think it would be funny to ms paint a picture of my mate sitting down and twiddling on my virus and saying in a speech bubble 'this is the best muthaphuckin' helicopter sound i ever made' and out the window you can see a commanche hovering.

or...sex shop. confused/embarassed looking woman. techy geek behind the sales desk saying whilst edging into the picture a black and red object, 'this is one of our best sellers - its got more knobs than you'll know what to do with.'

i think everyone has felt like the scream when they realise one of their tunes is almost irreversibly flawed or they realise all their songs sound like shat despite buying an expensive synth. bin that song. start over - the artist's casualties of war. mwahaha.
Old 05.12.2004, 09:40 AM
Veteran
Veteran

You all have strange laughs...so ill laugh like a spaniard...jejejejeje

ok now for collabs...i love working with ppl...but i hate working with musicians...i have alot of knowledge in the area of music and i most of the time give 50-50 work ratio...but it utterly disgusts me when some with less experience wont listen to your ideas at all...or take a second to ponder on them...they just know better, better than anyone...

now most of my collab sessions were almost fatal...theres a guy i work with now that is still in the beginning but we are both breaking out of our teadious shells...I use to do round robins with musicians that just couldnt come up with an idea for a song (or didnt want to be on the spot) back in my rock days...where i would make a couple notes on guitar then pass it on to the other guitarist where they would copy what i wrote then add on to it...little practice lessons and they worked 3/4 times i did it...most of th e time it was just plain musical chairs with the instruments...switching around so much you didnt know who played what in the band...seriously sickning...overall most of the time i dont want to work with anyone...but you get bad writters block more often working by yourself...or you start making the same song over again...ultimately is good to go out and work with ppl but i would never have a band again...

peace
Blank
Old 05.12.2004, 09:51 AM

I quite like having a second person there...someone to bounce ideas of and who inspires creativity within yourself.

In fact, I think I work best in this way...

I have done some great songs that were collaborations, and in then end, the process of making the song, and the great times you have with the person creating with you, are what you remember...you remember the laughs, the company of good friends, and the social interaction.

Not the ratio of compression you used for the vocals.....

It is the energy that is passed between the two (or more) of you that makes the session special, the ideas flying around, and of course, you will always run into problems when ego's are involved, but this is going to be something you deal with your whole life, and the more experience you have dealing with ego's, the more you can use them to make the experience more enjoyable...

*jase gettin all deep on yo' ass!*

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60