Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 29.01.2006, 02:45 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Default Virus TI -always- streams audio!

I just built+installed my new audio workstation.. and I ran in to an "USB Bandwidth Exceeded" error while installing the TI.. Kindof strange since no other usb devices were active at the moment. (had a few external hardisks hooked up though) That led me to try and turn of the TI audio driver in the device manager... result:

1) much better midi timing since the midi doesnt have to fight with the audio on the usb cable (the virus midi driver still functions!)
2) no more bandwidth exceeded error

Since I dont use the VC plugin to stream audio anyway (external audio is much higher quality and the timing of the VST plugin relies on host latency compensation which my sequencer of choice doesnt provide), I would like to ask Access to make a separate VST that just stores/loads settings for a -normal- multipatch. This would give me all the benefits of the VC without all the downsides and system hogging.. I would be able to use the normal midi code (with all its funky message-prioritizing etc) of my sequencer as well..
Old 29.01.2006, 04:34 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Default Re: Virus TI -always- streams audio!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephod
I just built+installed my new audio workstation.. and I ran in to an "USB Bandwidth Exceeded" error while installing the TI.. Kindof strange since no other usb devices were active at the moment. (had a few external hardisks hooked up though) That led me to try and turn of the TI audio driver in the device manager...
which audio driver did you turn off?

which host application do you use?

as for the "USB Bandwidth Exceeded" message. This is a windows message which indicates that the total bandwidth requirement of all devices attached to this certain USB port exeed the maximum bandwidth. by turning off a driver you get rid off the message because the USB device doesn't open the driver which requires the bandwidth anymore. the problem though remains. i assume that you unsupported audio host is using the asio driver. you automatically will run into problems because this driver as well will not get the bandwidth it needs to operate without causing problems. the virus ti doesn't require more than what a standard USB port does deliver.

best, marc
Old 29.01.2006, 05:33 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Audio Driver: I turned off the "Virus TI Audio V2.6.2" device in the device manager. There were only 2 devices connected to the same USB root: Emagic AMT8 and Virus TI.

Host/Sequencer: I write my own sequencers.. I really dont like the current "omg bling" style of working that the entire industry seems to prefer (and this includes the virus control sadly.. too much distracting chrome). From time to time I still work with Buzz (www.buzzmachines.com) because I like its spartan interface.

my hosts are -not- using the virus asio.. They use the ASIO drivers that came with my PCI RME hammerfall. Windows already gives the bandwidth exceeded message before I even start any hosts.

if its the only USB device in the system (apart from my mouse), it works as well with full audio etc, but there is still a noticable improvement in midi timing if I disable the TI audio driver.

I noticed this on some other pcs before as well.. the virus starts using bandwidth as soon as it is plugged in even if its not doing anything. I know it doesnt require more than what is delivered on its own.. but it still uses more than it should. By just disabling the audio board functionality of the virus I can do that.. (I dont need anything more than the midi driver functionality anyway.. virusTI is a pretty poor soundcard compared to the RME)
Old 29.01.2006, 05:46 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Audio Driver: I turned off the "Virus TI Audio V2.6.2" device in the device manager. There were only 2 devices connected to the same USB root: Emagic AMT8 and Virus TI.

Host/Sequencer: I write my own sequencers.. I really dont like the current "omg bling" style of working that the entire industry seems to prefer (and this includes the virus control sadly.. too much distracting chrome). From time to time I still work with Buzz (www.buzzmachines.com) because I like its spartan interface.

my hosts are -not- using the virus asio.. They use the ASIO drivers that came with my PCI RME hammerfall. Windows already gives the bandwidth exceeded message before I even start any hosts.

if its the only USB device in the system (apart from my mouse), it works as well with full audio etc, but there is still a noticable improvement in midi timing if I disable the TI audio driver.

I noticed this on some other pcs before as well.. the virus starts using bandwidth as soon as it is plugged in even if its not doing anything. I know it doesnt require more than what is delivered on its own.. but it still uses more than it should. By just disabling the audio board functionality of the virus I can do that.. (I dont need anything more than the midi driver functionality anyway.. virusTI is a pretty poor soundcard compared to the RME)
good luck, zephod. i just hope that other don't try this "trick" and cripple their systems.

marc
Old 30.01.2006, 01:51 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc
Quote:

good luck, zephod. i just hope that other don't try this "trick" and cripple their systems.

marc
Too late! I had already tried this 'fix / feature' a while ago, and although not a perfect work around it does mean slightly less errors. Yes you don't get the virus Asio or MME drivers humming away in the background, but I think the USB steam still comes into effect when you load VC. Meaning there is bandwidth used. So to benefit the most you would need to be using your sequencer without VC and with USB for midi and of course using analog outs and capturing them with another sound card.
Old 30.01.2006, 12:04 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

which is precisely what I do.. works great
got all 6 virus outputs input-latency-compensated routed back in to my sequencer so the voices are in time with the softsynths
Old 30.01.2006, 12:43 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
which is precisely what I do.. works great
got all 6 virus outputs input-latency-compensated routed back in to my sequencer so the voices are in time with the softsynths
if you don't use the virus control, there is no latency compensation.

best, marc
Old 30.01.2006, 04:01 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

not there no, but I run my own audiodevice latency compensation.