Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 08.07.2009, 07:11 PM
New here
New here

Default patch library on infekted.org ?

I may be blind, but is there not a patch library somewhere on infekted.org where forum users have posted their creations?

S.
Old 08.07.2009, 10:39 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Send a message via ICQ to tranqui

hm. did you register to leech off people's work?
Old 09.07.2009, 12:54 AM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Lol, thats funny...Dj's are the biggest leeches in the music biz. They make most of there living off other peoples music. I know cos I am one
I think there should be somewhere on the forum where people can upload there patches. Good idea, I'm sure there are a lot of people who would like to contribute there work just for the hell of it.
Old 09.07.2009, 06:58 AM
Pro
Pro

Second that a good idea ... there are thousands of patches out there check.

My noodles, nothing spicy...
https://soundcloud.com/mystafx
Old 09.07.2009, 08:39 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

I believe Infekted did have a library bank facility for people to upload/download stuff for a year or more, but it never got used.

However, remember you can still share your patches by using the 'Manage Attachments' option when you post in a thread, it will upload a file to the Infekted server and other people can then download the attachments from your post.
Old 09.07.2009, 11:05 AM
Infektion taking hold...

cool, but I prefer the "share your favourite tweaks" thread for inspiration. it's not like the TI hasn't got enough presets to learn from

@berni: I guess it all depends on what kind of a DJ you are...
Old 09.07.2009, 09:54 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

So what kind of disc jockey are you? Pretty quiet on your site or is 'silence' the next new DJing concept, Lol.
Old 09.07.2009, 10:54 PM
Am starting to like this forum

I have always considered the world of DJs to be quite diverse, in terms of technique. Is it not that some are selectors, blending one tune, from another dude, seamlessly into another, scripting what they hope is a successful set? And what fantastic and exciting sets! Yet others are craftsman of extreme technical expertise and sculpt tune after tune as they go, scratching, sampling, and twisting beats on the fly?

It may only be me and Tranqui who see that as a clear distinction between what some DJs do different than others. I'm also fairly sure Tranqui did not seek to disparage those skilled selectors.

(@_@) LOL I've got no idea what I'm talking about LOL (@_@)

Oh, ahem, yeah, i think the easiest way to share patches is to upload in the Sound Designing section in your own post.
Old 10.07.2009, 01:15 AM
Infektion taking hold...

kudos to you, now you've gotten me started! apologies for going offtopic. I'm new here, so I think it's necessary to explain that I'm well aware of the fact that some of the stuff you'll read below might sound a bit elitist. but that was never my intention - I'm just telling it like it is. always have and always will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
So what kind of disc jockey are you? Pretty quiet on your site or is 'silence' the next new DJing concept, Lol.
hosting dj mixes in illegal, in case you didn't know. not to mention that I don't record demos, because the kind of person I am is one that cannot interact with the wall his decks are standing in front of. I make music for people and need them to get into the flow, ergo there is no way I could record a demo alone in my home studio - at least no mix that would realistically showcase the way I work. I'm still hoping to get someone to record a vid of me spinning in a live situation, but they are usually too busy freaking out. it's my own fault, I guess

as to silence, well... you probably just haven't noticed. I have a few very simple interactive loop sets on my site which, according to the tracking stats, keep most visitors occupied for quite some time (I have a bunch of better ones which I will integrate after the next relaunch); and with all due respect mate, someone with a site like yours really shouldn't be judging others' work throwing stones in glass houses and all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestry View Post
It may only be me and Tranqui who see that as a clear distinction between what some DJs do different than others. I'm also fairly sure Tranqui did not seek to disparage those skilled selectors.
you know, I don't even like the term "DJ" anymore. ever since mixing became more accessible, people who have a very limited understanding of music have been calling themselves that. I occasionally tutor guys who are just starting out and I can safely say I could probably teach a dog how to beatmatch - because it's so darn simple. sadly, most people don't ever grow beyond that level. most studio mixes I've listened to over the last few years lack any distinctiveness whatsoever. most DJs I've seen live are afraid to improvise. when I go for a night of clubhopping, I get the impression that I'm entering and leaving the same party over and over again. it's sad, really - because 10 years ago, when I started out, people have been trying to create an original performance - and nowadays, most of them only try to imitate the more successful ones. and this is why they fail. hideously.

here's a few things I usually tell the guys I train:
1. have a good, original selection of tracks; the beatport top 10 of the week won't cut it. think out of the box and explore multiple genres.
2. read the crowd. don't look at your decks, look at them! (loosely quoting norman cook)
3. once you've got them going, don't let them go, but...
4. ...give them a break once in a while. dehydrating isn't fun.
5. if you have special skills, don't be afraid to show them; but keep the practice sessions to your bedroom.
6. if your beatmatching is tight and your melodies clash, it's still a trainwreck. learn to mix harmonically.
7. no overkill combination of audio effects can save a shitty set, but well-dosed effects will certainly enhance a good one.
8. unique audio material will make you stand out. dig for it and use it.
9. no matter how good you think you are, you can always improve.
10. don't act like a fucking poser. nobody came here to look at you. if you want to leave an impression, use your music.
Old 10.07.2009, 10:41 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Well mr tranqui I got ya beat, been DJing for over 20 years mostly in & around Manchester in the northwest of England. I was there at the birth of the acid house scene in the late 80s early 90s...the Hacienda being noted as one of the first clubs to play this kind of music...of course this was for pussys & students, we prefered to break into warehouses, put on illegal parties & all the other dodgy stuff that made up the original rave scene...getting done for making a mix tape was the least of my worries.
You dont have any music or mixes at all? after 10 years??????? Trust me bro nobody is going to take you away for making a mix. Every DJ from the highest to the lowest has made SOME kind of mix.
My site is non existent at the mo...under construction as it says & likely to remain so as I'm having too much fun in my studio right now to dick around with HTML. Your loops dont work in Safari or Firefox btw.
I have to agree with you about the mixing aspect...back in the day it was you, your vinyl, some SL1200's & hopefully a decent mixer. You had to know your tracks, you had to know how to beatmatch manually (not easy) & you had to have timing...you pretty much only had one shot to get it right. Now any monkey with some MP3's & a computer can do it with a mouse & call themselves a DJ although most of them still suck because they dont have any idea about programming a set to suit the audience & not the other way round.
Let me know when you have some music to back up your claims...talk is cheap.

'Silence...its the ultimate minimal'

OK I wont bust your balls anymore...peace!