Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 11.07.2009, 03:24 PM
Pro
Pro

Going to sound ol'skool but totally agree Bernie.

My anology of 'some' djs today in bedrroms to clubs use laptops/mp3s and call themselves Djs.

DJ is an art form that most people can participate - but a good dj will know the tunes, mix varients of each vinyl (yes vinyl) andknow how to work the crowd from tracklists to showboating.

To me what a lot of djs use (don;t get me wrong some 'are' creative) the mix is done for them by the software.

You cant beat the buzz of having that vinyl spinning on a SL1200 series cutting the mix, making sure the stylus sticks, grabbing the vinyl, spinning it , cutting it and knowing you are mixing.

My anology of todays mp3 mixing and software setups seems to be more painting by numbers colouring in books.

...and yep the 80's was cool...one minute you'd be chatting with yer mates - next min bundling into cars to a remote location hearing the buzz of a generator, make shift sound systems and a shit load of people buzzing their tits of tripping or gurning like theres no tomorrow until the fuzz turned up

Takes me back. ...

My noodles, nothing spicy...
https://soundcloud.com/mystafx
Old 11.07.2009, 03:40 PM
Pro
Pro

Kind of cracks me up reading the comments about vinyl mixing vs CD/Ableton/PC - makes me think of the old musicians comments about synthesisers/arpeggiators playing music/being skillless, and the elitist wank that I know from personal experience lots of 'contemporary' musicians like to spout about electronic music.

The end result is what counts, and whilst technical skill and virtuouso performances on ANY instrument may increase your personal enjoyment of a performance (as it does for me, being a keyboardist/composer), for the majority of punters its about the music and the performance, and the way it makes you feel.

My friendly opinion .

On another topic - wish I could have been there back in those days .
Old 11.07.2009, 07:43 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Send a message via ICQ to tranqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
Well mr tranqui I got ya beat
congratulations - but in case you didn't notice, it was never about beating anyone. I just don't react well to people going "what kind of DJ are you".

Quote:
you had to know how to beatmatch manually (not easy)
on the contrary; I think beatmatching is ridiculously easy. I use traktor scratch, but that doesn't mean I use the sync button that's what the sexiness of vinyl is about.

Quote:
You dont have any music or mixes at all? after 10 years???????
of course I do - but I haven't been recording any for the last five years (except a short drum'n bass demo I made for a UAF compo around april this year). also, I don't host them on my site. I send them out on demand. believe it or not, but if you're based in germany, it's risky to host stuff like that on your site; there is a group of lawyers who specialize in being assholes towards DJs (several of my friends have already had unpleasant letters in their mailbox) and I'm not taking any risks. I prefer to spend my money on equipment and music rather than on lawsuits.

as to music, I have a crapload of my own bootlegs which, again, are not the thing I would host on my site. I spin them, they work, that is enough. the stuff I make myself is purely live-oriented - and, like I said in my introductory post on this forum, I'm humble enough not to call myself a producer just yet. when I choose to release my music, which will happen eventually, I have to be completely satisfied with the result.

I must say I envy you for being based in the UK, because they have a huge scene. most germans have a big stick up their asses and it's a bit harder over here if you spin the stuff I do.
Old 11.07.2009, 10:23 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Kind of cracks me up reading the comments about vinyl mixing vs CD/Ableton/PC - makes me think of the old musicians comments about synthesisers/arpeggiators playing music/being skillless, and the elitist wank that I know from personal experience lots of 'contemporary' musicians like to spout about electronic music.
From my personal stand there's nothing wrong with what your saying.

Preference to vinyl is the tangility of the record vs mp3 in a list. Its a work preference nothing more. CD mixers came out, nothing wrong with that, just prefer vinyl. MP3s and various methods of mixing came out again nothing wrong with that....in fact the use of finalscratch/serato etc using vinyl to trigger an mp3 track/sample from a laptop/pc is a great tool and counts towards creativity.

Overall its about keeping it real and people appreciate a good result whatever your scene.

Personally if I went on the pod and pressed a button in ableton or a tracklisting in a media player and the mix played...would the response and atmosphere be any different to an individual doing it all live? Maybe we could see people paying money and going to Wembley to see a band play live with no instruments and just pressing play on a cd deck!!! Mind you could be a hole in the argument here when referring to some artists who mime and just perform like the recent Britney spears concert - if you want!

Its about the experinece for the crowds, players, dj and most importantly the music and its scene.

After all everything is subjective...its what drives the vibe and creates the atmosphere that gets the result!

My noodles, nothing spicy...
https://soundcloud.com/mystafx
Old 12.07.2009, 04:17 PM
Infektion taking hold...

the media discussion has been going on forever... at first glance, both argumentations are perfectly valid: on one hand, nothing can replace the feel of an actual record, but on the other hand, digital technology is something you should consider embracing if you want to raise the bar (or at least keep up).

but this is not the point. as it was already said, it doesn't matter at all to the audience; they came to dance and they don't care what the DJ is using as long as the music is okay.

the difference between a vinyl user and an mp3 user lies in the approach to music itself. when you grow up paying 12$ for a record, you automatically learn to pick out only the best - because you can't just walk out with 50 records, it's gonna cost you a fortune. so you value it. you don't go "who cares, I'll take those two as well" like you can in mp3 stores; you spend hours in the store picking out a handful of tunes. younger DJs who never knew what a record store is often don't realize how much crap they buy - and it shows when you hear them. a vinylist's selection is usually much better.

so I guess being a little old school is okay if you regard it in this context. if you're coming from vinyl, however, switching to a halfway digital solution - timecoded vinyl - is definitely the way to go. you get the best of both worlds and you still can spin your old stuff (and rarities you simply won't get online).
Old 16.07.2009, 01:13 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranqui View Post
hm. did you register to leech off people's work?
That line is loaded with faulty assumptions.

First of all, I am also looking for good sounds created by other people to use in my own music since I am not a sound designer, I am a musician who needs good sounds. Just like a pro piano player does not build the piano he plays, and a guitar player does not engineer the amplifier he plays through. Well at least most of them.
Old 16.07.2009, 03:50 PM
Am starting to like this forum

Chaps, I really believe some of you are being a little defensive about Tranqui's initial comment.
I perceived what he wrote as humorous, and that he intended it to be (benefit of the doubt). However, if he was being judgmental, that's equally as funny, though a change in context (self deceiver).

You should welcome a devil's advocate, and so long as your intentions and heart are honest, he will affirm all that you love so dearly.

(^_^) I do not understand what I have written! (^_^)
Old 18.07.2009, 01:24 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestry View Post
I perceived what he wrote as humorous, and that he intended it to be (benefit of the doubt).
you perceived correctly, dear sir. I do enjoy a LOL occasionally
Old 19.07.2009, 12:49 AM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Great thread!

I feel happy to add something to keep the hate alive!

There are only two types of DJs that are worth a pinch of shit:
1) A DJ that mixes his/her own music (no matter on what format).
2) Turntablists.

And the current range of tools (sorry purists) will take over. Being able to record any real world sounds and have your own music with the feel of Vinyl instantly is amazing - not to mention being able chop between heaps of tunes without taking off the record, or destroying your vinyl.

Just take a look at the kid in this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RmVECh3_YQ
A few vinyl collections will be hitting ebay in the upcoming years I will imagine.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut