Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 09.10.2012, 12:55 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Right now, I think Maschine and a free Massive copy, is the best deal around. But IMO the MPC 1000 with JJ OS firmware is the best piece of kit you can buy to support a virus.
My studio has finally reduced to a minimalist setup.
My Virus KC is hooked to an MPC 1000, a pair of midi cables and audio jacks, and you don't even need a mixer since the output signal runs directly through the MPC.
The MPC brings everything a virus need without turning on a computer:
Solid pattern based sequencing with graphic edition
A real sampler, with editing and record
Huge sample libraries stored on CF
16 PADs to bang the drums, launch sequence, and real time track muting.
What else ?
a handy compression and EQ tool,fx , audio bounce, good audio converters. A drum machine with endless sounds.

And the best thing of all, like someone said a few posts back, is curling up in the sofa making some music and feel like playing a real instrument instead of clicking madly on a grid.
I was an ableton and reason user, and somehow I really enjoyed these softwares. But now I really feel they are history to me. The virus being the real backbone of my sound, I'm going hardware, and not going back.
Old 10.10.2012, 05:59 AM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie View Post
Right now, I think Maschine and a free Massive copy, is the best deal around. But IMO the MPC 1000 with JJ OS firmware is the best piece of kit you can buy to support a virus.
My studio has finally reduced to a minimalist setup.
My Virus KC is hooked to an MPC 1000, a pair of midi cables and audio jacks, and you don't even need a mixer since the output signal runs directly through the MPC.
The MPC brings everything a virus need without turning on a computer:
Solid pattern based sequencing with graphic edition
A real sampler, with editing and record
Huge sample libraries stored on CF
16 PADs to bang the drums, launch sequence, and real time track muting.
What else ?
a handy compression and EQ tool,fx , audio bounce, good audio converters. A drum machine with endless sounds.

And the best thing of all, like someone said a few posts back, is curling up in the sofa making some music and feel like playing a real instrument instead of clicking madly on a grid.
I was an ableton and reason user, and somehow I really enjoyed these softwares. But now I really feel they are history to me. The virus being the real backbone of my sound, I'm going hardware, and not going back.
U can curl up on the sofa with an MPC 1000 & a virus KC? Guessing its a damn big couch.
Samplers & synthesizers are not real instruments in the contemporary sense no matter which one u use. Of course anything that makes a sound is an instrument but at what point do u decide its not for me? When u can't get it to make the sound u want I guess. Stick with what your happy with.
The 1000 would not be my first choice of MPC TBH & non of the latest MPC range are stand alone anymore so its a dying breed.
My Maschine & macbook pro fit nicely on my couch ; ) Just have to kick one of the cats off.
Old 10.10.2012, 05:28 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

bagging a Maschine Mikro MK2 this weekend.

now if only I can buy some time to use my gear
Old 10.10.2012, 09:07 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSTZ View Post
bagging a Maschine Mikro MK2 this weekend.

now if only I can buy some time to use my gear
Couldn't resist eh, u wont regret it, best $400 I've spent all year. Also another added bonus with the new software is u can use the transport buttons & knobs to control your DAW so it also makes a great controller.
Old 16.10.2012, 06:54 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

You're right.. I couldn't resist

I have a close friend who also helped influence my decision.

I needed some kind of drum machine / sampler to replace my awesome (yet dated) FXPansion Guru application

the added bonus of NI Massive with the unit was mere icing on the cake.