Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 21.03.2012, 11:33 AM
Pro
Pro

Default Any tips on getting a vocal to fit in a mix for an electro house track ?

Any tips on getting a vocal to fit in a mix for an electro house track ?

With a clean unprocessed vocal, a kick and a low sub bass and a snare/clap...nothing else seems to fit ?

Does anyone have any tips on mixing a track with vocals and synths and a fat bass and snare etc...

Thank You
Old 21.03.2012, 03:51 PM
Pro
Pro

carve space aggressively with your eq.. cut off all the unneccessary lows, and eq with the harmonic series in mind.

dip your eqs at 2k for most other stuff particuarly your pads and synths, so your vocals pop out there, thats a presence/forward point of human hearing and so things seem louder there and more coherent and giving them some space might be just the ticket.. sidechaining will help bring out space between the kick and bassline. im suprised that with such a sparse arrangement you feel the vocals cant fit .

you could also try mixing M-S to ground kick snare bass and vocals in the middle but push the synths and high freqs out, ive heard some amazing dance records that absolutely slam that use MS processing.

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/

Old 20.06.2012, 11:33 AM
Pro
Pro

Thank You
Old 22.06.2012, 03:08 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to mitchiemasha

Pensados been giving out some great MS tips... Youtube him.

Try using an l2 or l316 on the master. Although a mastering engineer will do this better. Using them on your reference mix will make your demo sound a lot more glued together.

I used to use other maximiser/limiters prior, Until I heard the difference. There is a free one I liked and that's by kjaerhaus.

Not that I'm any good but If you wanna send the project over I'll have a listen and a lil play around. Looking for ppl to share projects with.