Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Various > The forum members' music

The forum members' music Here you can post links to your music and listen to and comment other forum members' music.

Old 08.02.2011, 09:22 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Default My first track to share! Critique me!!

Alright guys, here it is. My first official release. One day when I am headlining ultra music festival and hundreds of thousands of people are having their brains smashed, you can say you heard it here first

So there's only one little catch....

I didn't use my virus on this track at all

This has been an old project since before I had the TI2....I have tons of projects in the works with the virus and can't wait to get em finished and post them.

In the mean time, let me know what you guys think about the sound quality! Please be harsh if you so please! The more the criticism the more I get better, so bring it on!

Under the first song there is one that says "mastered" at the end...that is the same thing with a mastering template applied in Logic, nothing special...just getting an idea of what it might sound like some day.

I guess the only question I have for you guys is whether or not you think this would be ready for mastering if I decided to send it off and get it worked on.

Enjoy!!

http://soundcloud.com/barnelby-jones...r-wars-on-mars
Old 09.02.2011, 12:14 AM
Pro
Pro

i think there's some pretty cool ideas in here.

i think you might need to go through and quantise some of the parts as they feel like they slip in and out of time, particularly with the modal stabs.

Could probably back off all the percussion a lot too and let the track breathe a little more.

It might be an interesting exercise to try and strip the tune back a bit and really focus on getting all the parts to move together to groove harder and feel more coherent.

My 2c.

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/

Old 09.02.2011, 03:42 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

I definitely agree about it being way too busy; I'll try to cut down on some of the insanity...as far as the stuff not being quantized, I was trying to go for a really glitchy kind of feel. But yeah, it gets overwhelming at times.

Thanks for the comments man!
Old 09.02.2011, 07:22 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Well if you are looking to smash peoples brains then you're on the right path ; ) but I agree with Matt it sounds tooooo busy & a little thin probably due to a lot of compression. Yeah, back everything off & see what really works & what does'nt need to be in there. Sometimes its just as important to take stuff out of the mix as it is to add to it. Just my 2c.
Old 12.02.2011, 08:24 PM
Pro
Pro

Nice ideas...far too busy from the off. Guessing you're looking to be spun by some DJ's or aiming at the game soundtrack market and the like?
Needs to be more DJ friendly, not everyone drops in a track so have a subtle build and maybe a break before the drop in goes haywire
First impressions of the mix too much top end. How are you monitoring your mixes?
I like the slow down (just hit that part, clever).

The old rule less is more comes to mind.

Goodluck and do not go and pay for mastering on this yet. My thoughts would be to get a nice handful of tracks together and then get something mastered.

My opinion is take away the beat and you got a great flavour going on with quite a few genres, kind a take's me back to my rave days and some of the Helter Skelter (DJ Hype and the like).
Personally, you've been very lazy with the beat and editing/production.

Feedback : Get some break beats or more interesting rythms going on that intertwine with the riffs and glitches you got going on. The old adage Less is More comes to mind...not enough silences or breakdowns to keep listeners interested.
Much the same as what Bernie and

My noodles, nothing spicy...
https://soundcloud.com/mystafx
Old 14.02.2011, 07:57 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

One of the issues I am working with right now is getting my room to sound good...probably one of the (many) reasons the mix is a little iffy.

And yeah, great info from everyone. Gonna run with it and see what happens!

Thanks guys!