Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 26.02.2010, 10:30 AM
Definately caught something...
Complete Newbie

Default How to make this sound?

Hi there,

I've been trying to remake this sound for use in live concerts on my virus ti2 polar, but without any real luck.

I tried to do it in multi mode, but it seems the polyphony gets challenged a bit, because of the use of both hypersaws for the trancy part of the sound and a pluck sound for the hard attack...
It kinda feels like you're playing clumsily, because of the TI having some trouble with processing all of the voices at once...

And in single mode I cannot really get the attack that I want.

It does not have to have the panning effect, and it actually has too much bottoms/low frequencies in it in the original sound...

Actually the sound comes from Atmosphere (spectrasonics) and is called Anablizz (under synths/techno).

It consists of two sounds:
A: "Wide Polymoog Low KliKeR" and
B: "Virus Memory Rave ReZ"

Here is an example of it playing a riff:
http://www.stormclements.dk/mp3/synth.mp3

And here is a file with single tones and the riff played with:
1) both A and B
2) just B
3) just A
http://www.stormclements.dk/mp3/Anablizz.mp3

I really hope somebody can help - and I'll be really grateful!!

Cheers!
Old 28.02.2010, 07:25 AM
Complete Newbie

Nobody has a clue?
Old 28.02.2010, 08:04 PM
Complete Newbie

My problem is that to make the combination of the two sounds I tend to use too many voices which f***s up the polyphony and the feeling when I play with the sound...
So any advice about how to make it is more than welcome!!
Old 28.02.2010, 08:51 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

I'm not sure what synth programming parameters Atmosphere gives you, but what I would do if possible is to isolate each tone as you have done and then reverse engineer it and apply it to the Virus. Should hopefully be easy enough as you have the patch, albeit on Atmosphere.

Dismantle the Atmosphere tones individually in reverse order: Take off any effects, then take off any unison, then zero any sources/destinations in any modulation matrix, zero any amp keyfollow, open wide the amplitude EG (instant attack, medium decay, maximum sustain, no release), then zero any LFO destinations, followed by dismantling the filter - zero any filter balance (if there are two filters being used) as well as filter keyfollow, then open wide the filter EG (instant attack, medium decay, max sustain, no release), followed by zeroing resonance, and open up cutoff to maximum - then dismantle the oscillators - zero any pulse-width, oscillator sync or similar, then zero any semi-tone pitching, followed by fine detunes.

You should be left with just the raw oscillator waveform(s), completely dry.

Isolate each waveform. Then go to your Virus, go to the Init patch (initialised) and try and emulate these waveforms using the oscillator section. Try the Virus's PCM waveforms if necessary too.

If you manage to get something you're happy with, then you can simply retrace your steps in the reverse order that you dismantled the Atmosphere patch, one step at a time (by hitting the undo button each time, if there is one), emulating the oscillator pitching, filter, filter EG, LFO, Amp EG, etc. until you finally get to the effects again, applying similar settings/modulations to the Virus patch at each stage. It has to be done by ear (as you can't just simply translate parameter values), and may take some time, but it can prove very fruitful.
Old 28.02.2010, 09:03 PM
Complete Newbie

Thanks!
I'll try and give a shot tomorrow...

EDIT:
Just took a short look at it...

Actually it seems (to me) that the sounds are sample based - so I can't go all the way back - only to some point...
Old 07.03.2010, 06:21 AM
Infektion taking hold...

I've owned too many synths to miss out on this one, this sound definitely sounds like it comes from the Korg Oasys Engine...most likely the Korg Radias, and yes it does have PCM based sounds "yuck". I hated that synth LOL. The interface was a nightmare. Plus it sounded like I was banging a sheet of foil with that awful excuse for reverb.
Old 07.03.2010, 01:53 PM
Complete Newbie

No, it's from Spectrasonic's Atmosphere...