Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 11.06.2003, 09:56 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS
Did you send it into Access? I bet they liked it hehe
I haven't sent that tune. Maybe I will.
Old 13.06.2003, 07:18 PM

I'm working on a 'DigitalScreams' soundset now. The MP3's I posted earlier in this thread wont be featured hehe (They are crap compared to what Ive been programming in the last 2 days!)

Ill let you all know how im getting on....

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 13.06.2003, 08:16 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Hey DS, where are you in the UK? I used to live in London but I'm living in the US now.

The soundclips are cool, I guess you like 80's stuff? I really like the synth programming on "Tin Drum" by Japan which features a lot of Prophet 5 sounds. Talking of which, I've just picked up a Prophet 5 (after lusting after one for years!). The internal battery needed replacing and I was horrified to discover it was soldered to the circuit board! Anyway, I digress.

I'd love to hear some more of your sound design skills. Keep at it!
Old 14.06.2003, 10:30 AM

Lucky man....you'll like the P5! I had one for a while...now I use a P1 . I used to a have a Jupiter-8....but it went to analogue heaven . Now my 'main' synth is the VIrus KC hehe

If any of you have the time plz check these sounds out. Im starting to work on my first soundset now

1) Mixdown 1: There is alot of detail in this clip! I experimented with the LFo's, LP and HP filters. Listen to the beautiful sound in the background as the resonance drops as the new chord is played. This patch is dry, no effects have been used. http://artists.iuma.com/site-bin/mp3..._MixDown_1.mp3

2) Mixdown 2: A collection of 4 sounds. Purely experimental! The first 2 are funky, the last 2 are retro. This patch is dry, no effects have been used. http://artists.iuma.com/site-bin/mp3..._MixDown_2.mp3

3) Mixdown 3: A VERY nice pad sound! In fact this is the best pad sound Ive ever made. This patch is dry, no effects have been used. http://artists.iuma.com/site-bin/mp3..._MixDown_3.mp3

*BTW none of the sounds in my soundset will use effects. I think effects should be used VERY sparingly

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 14.06.2003, 11:51 AM
Veteran
Veteran

DS i wouldnt stick to that no effects thing u r missing out tremendously, trust me on this...i have been workin on some sounds for chris in another thread "a very cool"... and if u use the effects right u can get some good sound, just remember u dont have to have the flange and the phaser oscillate u can use them static...
Just mess with it im sure u will grow to like it.

peace
Blank
Old 14.06.2003, 04:46 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

DS, again really nice sounds. They remind me a little of the sounds you can coax from a Nord Lead. Alot of people don't like the NL line as they don't have any FX but to be honest you don't really need them (I agree that FX should be used sparingly). Want delay? Just route an LFO to the amp to mimic a delay. And so on.

I also REALLY like the way your pad phases. Very cool. Any tips on how to achieve that?
Old 15.06.2003, 05:08 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Thanks for the tip on the LFO to the amp. I never thought of that.
Old 15.06.2003, 09:35 AM

Philipp - Mixdown 1 is actually a very simple patch. To create that phasing effect I used 1 lfo to modulate the oscilators pitch. I then used the other lfo's to modulate the filters. Its easy to modulate the osc...the tricky bit is modulating the filters and using the right envelope settings.

Ill post a .mid file asap so you can all check it out.

DS

Old 15.06.2003, 09:46 AM
Veteran
Veteran

hey DS just watch out u will soon be asked to make this sound and that!!!

Personally i like the challenge but some ppl dont have the time and/or dont want to...

peace
Blank
Old 15.06.2003, 10:01 AM

Yeah hehe

I just dont have the time...I have other committments at the moment

However I do like sharing tips/techniques.....im always learning

There is only one thing that annoys me about the Virus. Coming from an analogue background I have got myself into an irratating habbit of constantly using unison mode to beef up the sound to an ear freindly level. For the most part I find using just 2 oscilators and no unison to be to thin. Oh well

DS