Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music

General discussion about music An area for general music releated threads.

Old 27.02.2016, 04:06 AM
This forum member lives here

Default Depeche Mode - Ultra

Every now and then I pull out some "oldies but goodies" (that term seems hilarious describing this album because it still feels post-modern). But I love this album and was listening to some of the 2007-remastered tracks via my phone+earbuds. Their style in 1997 sounds so Virus-like, and even though the Virus is the mainstay of most of their tracks in the last decade or so, I realized they couldn't have possibly created this record with one unless they were using an early release prototype or something. Anyway if you listen to this piece of art in depth, it makes you almost wonder if the creation of the Access Virus was inspired by this sound they created when they published the original CD.

Below is an interesting list of the instruments they actually used. Really interesting to me was Cubase on the Atari ST (10 years after it was obsolete) as the DAW! The Atari ST was a simply awesome music making computer in its day, and quite frankly the platform I cut my teeth on.

Here's the list:
Musical equipments used by DM on Ultra album
This list appears in the April 97 issue of Future Music (U.K. Publication) and was provided to them by Tim Simenon. Source: http://www.tuug.fi/~jaakko/dm/keyboards.html#ultra

Synthesizers
ARP 2600 (x4)
Clavia Nord Lead
Korg Prophecy
Korg Trinity
MIDI Moog (x2)
Oberheim 4-Voice
Oberheim Matrix 12
Oberheim OB-8
PPG Wave 2.3
Roland JD-800 (x2)
Roland Juno-106
Roland Jupiter-8
Roland System-100M (x2)
Roland System-700
SCI Pro-One
Waldorf Wave

Modules
E-Mu Morpheus
E-mu Proteus 2XR
E-mu Vintage Keys
Korg M1R
Korg Wavestation AD
Oberheim MAtrix 1000
Roland JV-1080
Yamaha TX802

Sampling
Akai CD3000
Akai S1000 (x2)
Akai S1100
Akai S3200XL
Fujitsu 230 MO Drives
Kurzweil K2000R
Olympus 230 MO Drives

Effects
Boss pedals (various)
Eventide H3000SE
Lexicon PCM-70
Mutator Filter
Mutron Phaser
Mutron wah pedal
MXR Phaser
Roger Meyer distortion
Roland Dimension D
Sony HRMP-5
Zoom 9010

Sequencing
ARP 1615
Atari 1040 running C-lab Notator (x2)
Atari 1040 running Cubase

Hard Disk System
Apple Quadra 650 running Emagic Logic Audio
Digidesign 882 Interface
Digidesign SSD
Micropolis hard drive
Opcode Studio 4
Ricoh CD Writer

Other
Emerson UPS
Gretsch Anniversary Dobro
Resonator guitar
Groove Electronics MIDI 4 CV
Les Paul copy
Leslie Cabinet
Mackie 1604 (x4)
Mackie 3204
Roland MPU 401 MIDI/CV (x3)
Vox AC30
Old 15.03.2016, 01:07 PM
Am starting to like this forum

Mmm, I'll have to dig that one out and have a listen, haven't heard it for years!

On a very loosely connected note, I just purchased the OP-X Pro II Oberheim OB VST and it's simply fabulous! Has numerous recreations of Oberheim sounds, from various models, but also quite a few ARP, Moog, Roland Juno/Jupiter and Synthex sounds. I almost can't bear to listen to my Viruses, now that I've heard something so much richer...

EG
Old 15.03.2016, 06:53 PM

Oberheim synths were special indeed, very harmonically thick and great for pads/strings.

If you're into retro synths you might also look at those low-cost hardware modules like JP-06, JU-06 and such, modeled recreations of Juno and Jupiter synths. Roland's product line is starting to get a lot more interesting lately.

I used to have a Juno 106 and still miss the sound at times. I think they did a great job of reproducing the analog sound of these boards, I just can't bring myself to get one because of the tiny fiddly looking controls.

I'm also keeping a close eye on their analog / VA hybrid synths, they sound great I just think the product line needs some refinement. Maybe next generation of same will be a keeper.
Old 21.08.2018, 12:11 PM
Newborn
Newborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
Oberheim synths were special indeed, very harmonically thick and great for pads/strings.

If you're experiencing gains with these sarms for bulking and into retro synths you might also look at those low-cost hardware modules like JP-06, JU-06 and such, modeled recreations of Juno and Jupiter synths. Roland's product line is starting to get a lot more interesting lately.

I used to have a Juno 106 and still miss the sound at times. I think they did a great job of reproducing the analog sound of these boards, I just can't bring myself to get one because of the tiny fiddly looking controls.

I'm also keeping a close eye on their analog / VA hybrid synths, they sound great I just think the product line needs some refinement. Maybe next generation of same will be a keeper.
Did any of you guys own an Oberheim synth btw? I always wanted one of those.

Last edited by Lawson : 31.10.2022 at 08:59 AM.
Old 29.08.2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson View Post
Did any of you guys own an Oberheim synth btw? I always wanted one of those.
It was in wanted but never owned category for me. An Xpander was high on my want list but in the 80's four or five grand was a lot to spend on a single synth. Even now if you can find one used they are still expensive.

I'm thankful for all the software options we have today.