Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Various > Off topic

Off topic An off topic playground. If your post doesn't seem to fit on the other areas, it surely will fit here.

View Poll Results: is file sharing music
good frees real music to the masses instead of processed microwave meal music 6 28.57%
bad ,we need super rich untalented demi gods 0 0%
i dont know 1 4.76%
good, a good way to get previews of records before actually buying them 14 66.67%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14.12.2005, 08:34 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Default what do you think about file sharing of music on the net.

i personally think it is a great way to make new contacts and spread the gospal of electronic music
i also think the people that probablly dont like it are worring about their royalties or the percentage they are sucking like a parasite from their host, if you cant get any money out of it which isnt what music creation is about, then you may as well gain a few new fans,im happy with that.
what the people think??
down with the chart topping mind conditioning majors and up with the real independant music.
maybe we could mention our favourite free mp3 hosting sites for independant musicians and build a list for the liberation of independant music and the mind numbed masses.
Old 14.12.2005, 09:23 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
What do you think about file sharing of music on the net.
Its a reality, and a double edged sword with both dissadvantages and benefits for the artists.

Old 14.12.2005, 10:36 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Default Re: what do you think about file sharing of music on the net

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpoid
i also think the people that probablly dont like it are worring about their royalties or the percentage they are sucking like a parasite from their host, if you cant get any money out of it which isnt what music creation is about, then you may as well gain a few new fans,im happy with that.
Well, if you pay your rent and eat with the money you get from music you really don't laugh relievedly.

But afterall, like mentioned above, there are pros & cons in mp3 sharing. I took a priviledge to add an option to the poll. The mp3 sharing networks are great way to preview records. Doubt if the new records of Hollowcell & The Toothless Aussie Boys is worth buying? Download it and listen to it and if you dig it, buy it.

Also the sharing networks offer a great tool to expand your music knowledge and taste. You can even find some really rare stuff that's actually impossible to find as a real thing.

Those two things are the pros of the sharing. They give benefits to consumers and the creators. The sharing becomes a problem only if the music is so dull that no-one is willing to pay for it. A good example of this is the paradox of modern music industry: Piracy losses are increasing al the time and they respond to it by creating more and more quickly produced easylistening music that pleases as many John Smiths as possible. It's kidna logical, but is John Smith willing to pay for music that's only "ok to listen at work"?
Old 15.12.2005, 12:04 AM

Default Re: what do you think about file sharing of music on the net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho L
Doubt if the new records of Hollowcell & The Toothless Aussie Boys is worth buying? Download it and listen to it and if you dig it, buy it.
Hey! How did you know I have no teeth!?
Anyway....
I've been keeping it quiet, but I've made a progressive rock album just for you Juho.

I like to DL to demo new stuff (but it doesn't have to be illegally). Many artists now days put clips on their web-pages now days.
Concerning the artists that don't put demos for free online, I may grab a free copy from somewhere, but if it's something I really like, I'll buy it.

There are some records I will just buy blindly on past experience though - Gorrilaz was one recently.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 15.12.2005, 01:57 AM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

thanks for updating the pole juho.i agree it is a good way to preview music and if you like it and respect it and want that artist to make more goood music then you should show that appreciation through a donation to their site or purchase some of their merchandise in a way that most of the money goes to them and not some middle man.
its a bit like busking and the whole world could be walking down your street.
but i do not agree with the bully boy tactics of some agencies who would like to lock people up for the sharing of music and information in this way.
the beatles made a lot of money and they only got something like 4pence from every album.so you can become well off with very small donations on a large scale ,but do we really need all these midddle men to sell us something we dont need and isnt worth very much with a very short shelf life?
and corporate fraud is at an all time high.....
Old 15.12.2005, 02:06 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Those first two choices are LOADED. I just said don't know.
I listen to a fair bit of free music and I think all of us here should be thinking of the next reason why some fans of what you do would pay money for it.

I just got a shuffle ipod and the iTunes store is fantastic if your a total newbie to the net. I has buy links everywhere, even when you import your 'free' music.
Old 15.12.2005, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpoid
thanks for updating the pole juho.i agree it is a good way to preview music and if you like it and respect it and want that artist to make more goood music then you should show that appreciation through a donation to their site or purchase some of their merchandise in a way that most of the money goes to them and not some middle man.
So you're trying to say that for an example mixermen, masterers, producers, session musicians, recording engineers, cover graphics artists, additional composers and writers don't deserve any pay?

Quote:
the beatles made a lot of money and they only got something like 4pence from every album.so you can become well off with very small donations on a large scale,
Average musician sells quite different numbers than The Beatles.

Quote:
but do we really need all these midddle men to sell us something we dont need and isnt worth very much with a very short shelf life?
I think you really don't have any idea who are these "middle men". When real musicians make a record there is more invovled than a teenager with a bad acne and Reason 2.5, like on trance scene. Hoho. But really, think who are getting paid for the record sales. The musician/artist itself gets majority of the pay by live shows - The rest of the musicians and other people invovled in making the record get paid only by the sales.

I'd like also add that if a record has a short life then it's the musician's fault. If a record can't take more than few listens then it's clearly a bad record.
Old 15.12.2005, 03:51 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
So you're trying to say that for an example mixermen, masterers, producers, session musicians, recording engineers, cover graphics artists, additional composers and writers don't deserve any pay?
i agree any one that does an honest days work should be paid thats why we have organisations like mcps,ppl,. etc
and not many sell the amount of records that the beetles did

Quote:
I think you really don't have any idea who are these "middle men"
the middle men i speak of are the corporate fat rats at the top of the pile
who make the executive desicion to remix and re release saturday night by wigfield and then get paid 50 to 100 times more than the poor sucker they get in to perform the song and ruin any reputation they may have had previous through doing so.then they are cast onto the scrap heap next month after their 15 minutes is over.
hope there no wigfield fans in the house, just an example

when i said that
Quote:
corporate fraud is at an all time high.....
i wasnt joking. i think the internet has made or will make alot of these middle men surplus to requirement and enable the artst to reach the people at home and the independant lables able to compete on an semi even ground as the majors.
Quote:
I like to DL to demo new stuff (but it doesn't have to be illegally). Many artists now days put clips on their web-pages now days.
Concerning the artists that don't put demos for free online, I may grab a free copy from somewhere, but if it's something I really like, I'll buy it.
sure thing hc i think you cant fight the technology or its progression but can only work with it .eg offer a few free tunes on your site and ask that they buy the album to hear the rest or offer all tunes for free and ask that fans make a donation to help cover costs there are alot of honest people out there its hard to believe....
and it can work for example they have a bar in berlin that you walk into with no bar staff lots of tables and lots of drink you drink what you want and on the way out leave what you think you may owe.
if you dont play by the rules(pay what you owe) then the bar will have to close and no one can sit there and have a drink any more.
it also means if you make good music you get paid if not find another means of making money. but as i said money isnt the reason for making music ,and actually destaroys the natural creativity.
Old 15.12.2005, 03:59 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

did you know that simon cowel (alledgedlly, since i have no actuall documentaion to support this and dont want to get sued)has been known to help out with quite alot of his artists releases, yeah he really cares and just loves to take part as a musician.
play the triangle hit in the track and forever get paid.a rough guess 10mil a hit, do this once a week and collective hours at work rounded off to 1 hour per month ,who needs a pension.
Old 15.12.2005, 07:26 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
They should be paid by the artist, who should be paid by whoever buys the music.

Quote:
Average musician sells quite different numbers than The Beatles.
And they should therefore get quite different money than The Beatles.

Quote:
I think you really don't have any idea who are these "middle men". When real musicians make a record there is more invovled than a teenager with a bad acne and Reason 2.5, like on trance scene. Hoho. But really, think who are getting paid for the record sales. The musician/artist itself gets majority of the pay by live shows - The rest of the musicians and other people invovled in making the record get paid only by the sales.
I think gimpoid is talking more about the major labels where the middle men are not the producers/engineers/etc. but coporate suits who do fuck all. Middle men are by definition between the people involved in creating the music, i.e. the artists and engineers/producers, and the people buying the music.

The major label music industry rips everyone off, both artists and consumers.

I think that file sharing is shitty when people don't buy any music, but I download a lot of music. Then again I have over my life spent a stupid amount on music, with hundreds of cds and a wardrobe filled with vinyl. If I wasn't able to download this music there are heaps of albums I would never have heard of and never bought.

Quite frankly given the poor quality of a lot of releases, I'm not prepared to buy music without listening to the full album first, if it grabs my interest I'll buy it.