Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 16.11.2011, 11:26 PM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Default Help with goa/psytrance lead sound

Hello can anybody help me, im trying to get this lead sound.
Sounds like arpeggiated, and processed with something like phaser or flanger.

The lead can be heard clearly on 4:44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqqWs__Ohlw

One hell of a track, isnt it??
Thank you!
Old 28.11.2011, 05:17 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Thumbs up

I'll give it a shot tomorrow (to tired today). But my guess is: you should pick the sawtooth wave on the oscilator section, then select the ramp wave on the LFO, set it do modulate osc1 pitch. Then set the LFO to maximum rate (speed) and adjust the amount. You can try to use the assign on the LFO1 to also modulate the osc1 pitch down at the same time, so that it jumps more. Then try to find a good combination between those parameters (the amounts) and the osc1 semitone. After that, you should try and fatten it up with the sub osc set to triangle wave. You should be getting there by now. But it doesn't sound as gritty yet. Set the FM all the way and find a good balance between the Osc 1 and 2 semitones - it gives you the metalic touch. Try the RingMod also and add some filter distortion, maybe the rectifier (just guessing). The filter should be either highpass (my best guess) or bandpass, with a fair amount of resonance to make it scream. I will not mention the fx section, but chorus with a fast to middle rate and short decay time seems reasonable. Try setting random as a source in the mod matrix, and set it to destinations like oscilator 2 pitch (the modulator), lforate, arp note lenght... When you play with the arp then, each note has different random values, but they are rythmic and synced up thanks to the arp. But I'd probably save some instances and cut them down and arrange them.

And you can also trigger the sound even more by setting the arp clock to 1/64, note lenght to max, for example. Or setting the second LFO to channel volume with a square wave, to create a real fast stacatto effect.

Enjoy your Psy Productions! Cheers
Old 29.11.2011, 04:49 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Actually, if it's the sound I'm thinking it is, it's a bit more simple then that... Just use sawtooth on both Oscilators. Turn the FM and Ring Mod all the way up. Sub Osc like 1 or 2 a clock, set the osc1's semitone all the way down, then select osc2 and set its semitone like -19 or something. Lfo 1>Osc1>+41 - select the square wave (I was wrong after all) and turn it to max speed. Set the filter1 to high pass, resonance like 11'0 clock, and play a few notes while fiddeling with filter cuttoff. But what's important to notice is, that when you change osc1 semitone, moving it up, it acts almost as if you're using an Lfo, broadening the lenght at which one osc catches up with the other's pitch (because of the fm), and it gets very close to the sound you're looking for, if the settings are just right. A little touch of reverb sounded good here, and a touch of noise to, 'cause it adds another layer of air to the sound... Now it's just a matter of adjusting the fx section to taste... The Osc Mix should be close to the middle, either way, as the os1 is playing just something like a bassy scratchy sound and the second has all the griiting, screaming sound. Also ad some filter envelope modulation, with a touch of attack, decay and release (yeah, no sustain in this case), pay close attention to this if your going to use the arp. If you want to get into the Bass freqs (opening up the filter), I'd say go for two filters, set the second one to lowpass, with some resonance, and turned to 11'o clock (near that area), so that it smooths out the otherwise really boomy bass you get - ser4 or 6. After this, try and put the Lfo at minimum speed and the osc1 a bit up - see what happens, it's the other phaser like sound, with some adjusting tweaks to it. My advice would be to save both presets and make a dialogue out of it. (It's also interesting to check how this sound works when you select osc sync), with the second filter turned to analogue 4p is also fun... I have set the key follow of filter one to -15 to. I hope this was helpfull.
Old 10.12.2011, 02:29 AM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Thanks a lot Tweakhead, Im still not getting there, but i wont stop trying. Ill let you know anyway!
Old 19.12.2011, 07:16 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Yeah, you're going for the big stuff... Also, if you can't make the all animation, do it like animators do: built the frames, then put it togheter!