Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Various > Introduce yourself

Introduce yourself If you are new to the forum it would be nice for the others to know who you are and what you do. So please post here.

Old 08.03.2009, 01:01 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Default I got my snow (+comments)

Hello altogether,

two days ago I got my virus snow. I just loved it from the first second

Here some comments:

1) Before I bought the snow I downloaded the Quickstart Manual (pdf) from the access page. I have read it, and because it was very short I am expected a big manual when buying a real snow.
But, exactly the same manual is delivered with the snow, not more!
I think that is much less.

2) At some presets (e.g. 1-4-4 ElectroAV) I noticed that notes will not get played (via MIDI keyboard) when get played fast. I analyzed that and found out that whenever a tone is kept pressed on keyboard and a next tone is pressed than this tone is not played. So the melody must be played 'staccato' in order to work.

3) I found out that the knobs position is not really exact. I expected if I change the position of the 3 knobs from Zero to anywhere and back, I will have the original sound. But that is not the case. I need to select another preset and return back to have this.
Maybe I am wrong, and the Zero-Position of the knobs is not the 'Unedited'-Setting?

But anyway I am impressed by that litte box. I will need a big amount of time to get all things known that are possible with it.

In the next time I do not plan to install/test new OS version etc. I believe 2.7.5 is very stable and that is what I need at the beginning. I never install the newest software/patches neither at windows or any other programs.

I will also not immediately use the snow via VC at my pc. Don't know if it would work on vista anyway.

At the moment I am not sure what's about the Multi-Mode. I played some of that view preset. But for me that too much at the same time. Before I had the snow I thought that must be the best sounds ever, but I am disappointed a little. Some very simple sounds (one or two complexity bars) sound sometimes better than high complex ones. But I think that's IMO.

Here a picture:
http://www.fen-net.de/~na468/snow/mystudio.jpg

(Great that my 19 years old casio keyboard works without problems with the snow. I had no hanging note etc.)

Last edited by NoLie6 : 08.03.2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08.03.2009, 05:29 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Just a question:
Is there anywhere a list of all (rom) bank presets?

In Youtube I often saw clips where people naming the used/played preset by name (e.g. AllRoundXM) and not by number (e.g. 1-1-1). Since at the moment I'm using the snow with midi keyboard (and not via VC) it would be good to look through a list rather than stepping through all preset via buttons on the snow.
Old 09.03.2009, 02:45 PM
Analog synth DSP lover
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLie6 View Post
Hello altogether,

two days ago I got my virus snow. I just loved it from the first second

Here some comments:

1) Before I bought the snow I downloaded the Quickstart Manual (pdf) from the access page. I have read it, and because it was very short I am expected a big manual when buying a real snow.
But, exactly the same manual is delivered with the snow, not more!
I think that is much less.
You also should read the addendum.

Quote:

2) At some presets (e.g. 1-4-4 ElectroAV) I noticed that notes will not get played (via MIDI keyboard) when get played fast. I analyzed that and found out that whenever a tone is kept pressed on keyboard and a next tone is pressed than this tone is not played. So the melody must be played 'staccato' in order to work.
Check if the key mode is set to a Mono mode, to "solve" this, change it to "Poly"

Quote:

3) I found out that the knobs position is not really exact. I expected if I change the position of the 3 knobs from Zero to anywhere and back, I will have the original sound. But that is not the case. I need to select another preset and return back to have this.
Maybe I am wrong, and the Zero-Position of the knobs is not the 'Unedited'-Setting?
You are wrong. The knobs reflect the absolute value. The TI has a compare led (in the access logo) I don't know if the snow has? But using the knobs you can see the "unedited" value like this "123 [31]" (31 is unedited)

Quote:

But anyway I am impressed by that litte box. I will need a big amount of time to get all things known that are possible with it.

In the next time I do not plan to install/test new OS version etc. I believe 2.7.5 is very stable and that is what I need at the beginning. I never install the newest software/patches neither at windows or any other programs.
You can always switch back and forth, no worries.

Quote:

I will also not immediately use the snow via VC at my pc. Don't know if it would work on vista anyway.

At the moment I am not sure what's about the Multi-Mode. I played some of that view preset. But for me that too much at the same time. Before I had the snow I thought that must be the best sounds ever, but I am disappointed a little. Some very simple sounds (one or two complexity bars) sound sometimes better than high complex ones. But I think that's IMO.
Taste

Quote:

Here a picture:
http://www.fen-net.de/~na468/snow/mystudio.jpg

(Great that my 19 years old casio keyboard works without problems with the snow. I had no hanging note etc.)
MIDI is a thing, isn't it?

r
Old 10.03.2009, 09:12 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Thank you Ronkaz! Nice that someone here at the forum is still answering newbie questions

> You also should read the addendum.
What do you mean with addendum? Is it somewhere available?

> Check if the key mode is set to a Mono mode, to "solve" this, change it to "Poly"
Do you mean at the virus or the keyboard? Wonder cause it is only at some presets, so it must be a peset setting.

> But using the knobs you can see the "unedited" value like this "123 [31]" (31 is unedited)
Yea, I have seen it now. Before I haven't payed attention to that figures. But I noticed that the [x] is not at all patches and knobs.

> You can always switch back and forth, no worries.
> Taste
Ok, I certainly will at some time.

> MIDI is a thing, isn't it?
Seems like the only stable thing in the world

Thanks.
Old 12.03.2009, 09:11 AM
Analog synth DSP lover
Amateur

Quote:
Thank you Ronkaz! Nice that someone here at the forum is still answering newbie questions

> You also should read the addendum.
What do you mean with addendum? Is it somewhere available?
the software installs documentation, there is a manual as well as an addendum to the manual. there is also a shiny "?" button in virus control that leads you right there...

Quote:
> Check if the key mode is set to a Mono mode, to "solve" this, change it to "Poly"
Do you mean at the virus or the keyboard? Wonder cause it is only at some presets, so it must be a peset setting.
this is in the patch settings. press OSC EDIT twice for the "edit osc common 1/2" page there you'll find the key mode.

Quote:
> But using the knobs you can see the "unedited" value like this "123 [31]" (31 is unedited)
Yea, I have seen it now. Before I haven't payed attention to that figures. But I noticed that the [x] is not at all patches and knobs.
I couldn't believe that but you are right, it is not in the wavetable selection (at least on the TI)

Quote:
> You can always switch back and forth, no worries.
> Taste
Ok, I certainly will at some time.
I like os3!

Quote:
> MIDI is a thing, isn't it?
Seems like the only stable thing in the world

Thanks.
heh

r
Old 14.03.2009, 04:36 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Thank you Ronkaz,

yesterday I downloaded and installed the "Installer 2.7.3 for Windows" on my vista pc. After initial problems it worked. So I can open an kind of admin VC application where I can (and tested) to do a full backup of the virus snow.

And after installation I have found various documentation including your mentioned addendum.

Do I understand it right, that there is no explicit main VirusControl application on my pc to run? My idea was to have a pc application connected via usb to select (as someone mentioned) patches/presets that are not really on the snow. And play it via midi keyboard.

But I assume that there is now only a vst plugin on my pc, and the VC is only available when I use that plugin in a certain sequencer, right?
Old 20.04.2009, 05:53 PM
Infektion taking hold...

As a kind of feedback here my first 3 produced tracks (as a newbie) having my snow 1 1/2 month now:

http://www.fen-net.de/~na468/music

1. Complex (Gary Numan Cover)
2. Droix (Putting things arround a bass melodie I had first in mind)
3. Cry, the clock said (Gary Numan Cover)

Ok, ok. Its not what you guys might expect here (trance, techno, ambient, industrial).

Everything comes from the virus snow. No selfmade sounds, but edited ones - sometimes during runtime.

Altough I have some problems using all features of the snow as plugin in a DAW, I love what I can do. Best investigation ever
Old 20.04.2009, 06:37 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to Engel

File named "Droix" sounds like early Depeche Mode (something like their "any second now" song). =))