Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music

General discussion about music An area for general music releated threads.

Old 17.02.2011, 09:01 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Default Where can I learn how to make my music sound professional?

So I have been making music for a few years now, and while my skills improve all the time, when I listen to pro quality material and read about some of the techniques and processes involved in making high quality audio I can see that there is still a long way to go.

I feel like I'm probably not the only person who has felt a little overwhelmed at times with the seemingly infinite amount of knowledge and skill it takes to create music using DAWs, synths, compressors, EQs, limiters, nuts, bolts, etc... I have become comfortable using individual components such as these; tying it all together neatly is where I think I am still lacking.

With forums like these there is a wealth of information readily available for anyone, but being a musician as well as a producer, I know that I wouldn't have learned how to play piano without someone to work with one on one. Does anyone know of any schools or even private studios that offer comprehensive courses in music production? Has anyone here done anything like that?

I have a friend who went to full sail to learn Logic and really enjoyed it. Has anyone here gone to full sail for music production?

Thanks!!
Old 17.02.2011, 09:23 PM
Pro
Pro

maybe check out sonicacademy.com - it could provide you with a lot of tidbits of knowledge and help fill in some missing gaps in your knowledge. I've got a subscription but still havent got into it too deeply, but theres plenty you can pick up, and it goes from start to finish for a variety of genres.

i'm doing some private one on one lessons at the moment with a producer in perth called Qbik, and it is really helping to be able to sit down, watch what they do, and be able to ask immediately - why? As well as working on your songs together and being able to discuss why elements are working, what you are doing incorrectly, and how to make life easier in your DAW so you can write faster and get your ideas out.

If you can find a one on one tutor you get along with and value their musical and techincal expertise, I would highly recommend it. By the time you do a course online, you could spend a comparable amount, and due to course structures and requirements as well as the delivery method, you may end up with as many questions unanswered and the same gaps in your knowledge.

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/

Old 05.10.2011, 04:18 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

My advice is similar to Sensoona's

Read articles, explore techniques, watch how to videos

I'd like to recommend a website called audiotuts+

loads of nice walk through tutorials for audio on there.

Most of all, it comes down to this: how much time can you devote to learning production?

The more time you devote, the faster your skills will develop.
Old 05.10.2011, 11:52 PM
Pro
Pro

Pointblank has a mixing dance music course, but make sure you go through what they offer cause you might already know a lot of the stuff..yet it can be helpful.
It helped me even after studying engineering at SAE . It focuses more on electronic music rather than recording and mixing acoustic instruments..
take a look
Old 10.10.2011, 03:26 PM
This forum member lives here

My advice is learn how to mix on headphones, then check the mix on the oldest, crappiest speakers you can find.
You DON'T need Genelecs.
Mix down at the lowest possible level. If you can hear everything it's ok.
Old 11.10.2011, 05:18 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

I bought a few hours at a local music school studio just to polish off a track. I brought in most of the song on a usb stick, just added some simple guitar bits in the studio, and just spend most of the time in the booth with the engineer, mixing and discussing things. I learned a lot. Might be worth a look if you find a nice place that'll sell you a couple of hours for an ok price. Try looking at schools/universities or community projects, or a cheap professional place.
Old 11.10.2011, 06:12 PM
Pro
Pro

be careful learning to mix purely on phones as itll give you a false sense of stereo image. referencing at different volumes is certainly a fine idea, very low and very high. try leaving a track on, and walking into various rooms of your house, and hearing if anything sticks out or sounds out of place, its probably a nice indicator to back it off in the mix or do some rebalancing. id recommend mixing at a steady volume most of the time so you get used to the actual energy coming out of your monitors and the way your monitors sound at that energy level, then when you feel good about the mix, start listening higher and lower.

and as always, reference, reference, reference!

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/

Old 11.10.2011, 06:44 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedingear View Post
be careful learning to mix purely on phones as itll give you a false sense of stereo image. referencing at different volumes is certainly a fine idea, very low and very high. try leaving a track on, and walking into various rooms of your house, and hearing if anything sticks out or sounds out of place, its probably a nice indicator to back it off in the mix or do some rebalancing. id recommend mixing at a steady volume most of the time so you get used to the actual energy coming out of your monitors and the way your monitors sound at that energy level, then when you feel good about the mix, start listening higher and lower.

and as always, reference, reference, reference!
^^^agree

mixing on headphones has never worked for me personally
Old 11.10.2011, 10:25 PM

It's true mate.
Learn to mix on headphones and then mix final on crap speakers.
I speak proudly as one who has had a record out which sold thousands.
So there.
Old 11.10.2011, 10:25 PM

It's true mate.
Learn to mix on headphones and then mix final on crap speakers.
I speak proudly as one who has had a record out which sold thousands.
So there.