Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 13.05.2005, 07:41 AM
Newborn
Newborn

Default Versatility of the Virus TI

I extremely interested in becoming the proud owner of a new Virus TI after hearing some samples from the website and having a play around with a Virus Classic at the local music store.

My main concern however, is that the virus obviously has a reputation as a Trance / Dance synth. My band makes use of various synthesizers (mainly soft), but we are more in the 'rock' direction, some what like Radiohead, Bjork, Beck, maybe a little Massive Attack or Grandaddy.

I'm looking for really fat synth string kind of sounds. Similar to what a Jupiter8 is capable of. However, I think the Virus TI would be more value for money than one of these older synths based on polyphony and 16 part multi-timbral.

Are there any virus users out there that could comment of the use of a Virus in a less dance/electronic band, similar to the ones I have mentioned above. Have people been able to use the Virus outside of it's comfort zone so to speak.

Thanks for your help!
Old 13.05.2005, 10:01 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Hi Zakk!

Take a look at the 'Hall Of Fame' list on the Access website - there are plenty of artists that fall outside of the Tarnce crew!

Really, the Virus' main strength has always been it's versatility - you can bend it to whatever you like, and there are plenty of (free) soundsets available which deliberately avoid the Dance genre. It's reputation as a Tarnce-box is proving hard to shake though
Old 13.05.2005, 12:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to BlakeLight

hey Zakk, I'm a piano player / guitarist who uses the virus and a few other synths in his rock band. Our bent is more towards stuff like OK Computer and Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. Ive got a link to a track which demonstrates a few ways that I use the Virus in my band (I use the Virus mostly to fill in the areas where it would be hard for me to fill it in with electric guitar - due to awkward cluster voicings like A minor with sus 2 and 4. The link is www.myspace.com/blakelighttragic

I would DEFINATELY recommend getting the TI in your band. I play a KC, and the thing has such a great ballsy tone in general. It has a very great punchy sound that, if you program it to, can really cut through any mix. As far as string sounds are concerned, I dont think there isnt a user in the Virus forum, any style, who doesnt at least have a few patches using Square waves with fast Pulse Wave Modulation on an LFO... this gives you a great great string sound!