Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 25.09.2010, 08:10 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Default Is it just me or is the analog synth market a little bleak?

I am mainly talking about polysynths here, there are plenty of good monos it seems like.

I am beginning my research journey on a good polyanalog to compliment the virus, and I am a little let down by the current selection. I assume, though, I might not be looking in the right places.

When researching a digital synth, I easily gathered info on SO many digital analog synths currently being produced I STILL haven't gotten through all of it...

But when I look for poly analog synths currently being produced , it always seems like same thing:

the prophet 08.....the......prophet 08 .....desktop.....the....tetr4....

So that's basically one and a half synths.

And then of course there is the all reveled holy andromeda, which honestly I would LOVE to have, but I am not about to drop 40 ben franklins to play ebay roulette.

Then there is the studio electronics omega 8, supposed to be one of the best of all time, and I would hope that it is for FIVE GRAND (50 franklins). All the other Stud. electronics are supposed to be amazing, and I'm sure they are, but they are wacky expensive.

To top it all off, the prophet 8 has digitally controlled oscillators, envelopes, and some other stuff so that takes it down a notch for some people who criticize it for not being "true" analog due to this...

And of course everyone just says that it's only the vintage analogs that sound like the real thing...I think someday it would be AMAZING to own a memorymoog or prophet 05 or jupiter or whatever, but I'm not gonna be slingin' Franklins for something that I would feel scared to gig with/move at all and feel like I'm dealing with an antique (cause I am).

So why don't companies produce analogs like they used to? Or at ALL really for that matter? And I say this based on the simple fact that the digital analog to analog (poly) synth ratio being produced today is WAY skewed

I have read that there are concerns about parts that wear out over time or aren't quite as reliable for whatever reason, but having been a guitar player for a long time, I know a thing or two about tube amps and the upkeep involved. I feel like this is not something that would break a deal for me for the sake of incredible sound quality

So why not make something like they used to? Why keep making synth after synth that just get compared to the classic ones and not grow a pair and make something badass? There I said it.

Last edited by Barnelby : 27.12.2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 25.09.2010, 11:12 AM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

I share your opinion completely but it is necessary to be realistic.
Golden age has passed...
And today money makes the rules...
Old 25.09.2010, 05:51 PM
Definately caught something...
Complete Newbie

Digitally control analog circuits ARE true analog ...
If a synth is not digitally controlled you won't be able to save your sounds !!!
The "analog" sounds comes from its audio circuits so the Prophet 08 can be seen as a true analog.
Else the true analog ould be the moog voyager old school which I do not understand what it is done for except for sound design and then sample ...
The Doepfer Dark Energy is also a "pure" analog cheap one (well layed out but I miss the memory !!!)

HUROLURA

Combining different brand of VA synth = pure joy.
Old 25.09.2010, 05:53 PM
This forum member lives here

It would be nice to see more analog choices, but even as much as I love analog sound I think VA is about as close as I really need to be to it.

I think from a synth manufacturer's perspective, they probably look at it like updating software is a lot cheaper than finding flaws in hardware implementation down the road, and updates are a lot easier for all involved.
Old 25.09.2010, 09:12 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Yeah, I have NO complaints about VA stuff. I totally think that both virtual analog and analog have their unique place in the synth world (therefore I definitely need both ). Everything I have read about the prophet and tetra sounds pretty awesome, I have a mopho and absolutely love it, I will have no problem picking up one of its big brothers. It's especially good incentive to get another DSI so I can polychain.

It does kinda suck having basically no choices, though. Who wants to start a company with me and make some real synths?
Old 25.09.2010, 09:31 PM
Definately caught something...
Complete Newbie

And there is much more choice now than there was 10 years ago. You could only find second hand equipment but no new design.

I agree the value (on the second hand market) is much more important for analog oldies from the mid-70ies rather than the digital synth offered in the mid-80ies...

HUROLURA

Combining different brand of VA synth = pure joy.
Old 22.02.2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnelby View Post
I am mainly talking about polysynths here, there are plenty of good monos it seems like.

I am beginning my research journey on a good polyanalog to compliment the virus, and I am a little let down by the current selection. I assume, though, I might not be looking in the right places.

When researching a digital synth, I easily gathered info on SO many digital analog synths currently being produced I STILL haven't gotten through all of it...

But when I look for poly analog synths currently being produced , it always seems like same thing:

the prophet 08.....the......prophet 08 .....desktop.....the....tetr4....

So that's basically one and a half synths.

And then of course there is the all reveled holy andromeda, which honestly I would LOVE to have, but I am not about to drop 40 ben franklins to play ebay roulette.

Then there is the studio electronics omega 8, supposed to be one of the best of all time, and I would hope that it is for FIVE GRAND (50 franklins). All the other Stud. electronics are supposed to be amazing, and I'm sure they are, but they are wacky expensive.

To top it all off, the prophet 8 has digitally controlled oscillators, envelopes, and some other stuff so that takes it down a notch for some people who criticize it for not being "true" analog due to this...

And of course everyone just says that it's only the vintage analogs that sound like the real thing...I think someday it would be AMAZING to own a memorymoog or prophet 05 or jupiter or whatever, but I'm not gonna be slingin' Franklins for something that I would feel scared to gig with/move at all and feel like I'm dealing with an antique (cause I am).

So why don't companies produce analogs like they used to? Or at ALL really for that matter? And I say this based on the simple fact that the digital analog to analog (poly) synth ratio being produced today is WAY skewed

I have read that there are concerns about parts that wear out over time or aren't quite as reliable for whatever reason, but having been a guitar player for a long time, I know a thing or two about tube amps and the upkeep involved. I feel like this is not something that would break a deal for me for the sake of incredible sound quality

So why not make something like they used to? Why keep making synth after synth that just get compared to the classic ones and not grow a pair and make something badass? There I said it.
Hi Deadmau5 - if you havent done so already, I recommend you visit http://www.vintagesynth.com/ and start reading about some of the cheaper analog poly's of the 80's.

Id like to clear up some of the misinformation going on here - 95% of the analog poly's of the late 70's and 80's were technically digital hybrids. Analog oscilators, filters, envelops, amplifiers, lfo's etc but with digital memory, digital tuning, midi, aftertouch. Jupiter 8, Prophet 5, Juno's, Polysix, MonoPoly, Synthex, JX-8P, JX10, Oberheim OBXa, OB8 etc all fall into this category. If you are looking for a completly analog polysynth you'd need to go right back to 1975 and look at the Oberheim 4 Voice, 8 Voice. Now, dont get hung up on this, all of these synths have a TRUE analog SOUND, its just that they contain microprocessors, memory, tuning etc. These dont effect the sound....just its functionality.

In terms of new analog polysynths - the market is a little light on choice....there is no denying that. Of the ones you have listed, the Prophet 08 is the best in terms of sound, simplicity, functionality and cost. I read in another thread you found the the VTI2 a little daunting (give it time) so stay away from the Andromeda A6. The price of A6's is seriously over inflated £2200+ and they are overly complicated to use and somewhat buggy. Given your situation, you really ought to consider some of the cheaper 80's alternatives - im talking about the Roland Juno 6, Roland JX3P, JX8P - these all used the same filter as the Jupiter 8 and cost under £500 + you'll get 6 note polyphony. If they fuck up, they are repairable.

If you can extend your budget to £1500-£2000 then you may want to consider the Roland MKS80 + Programmer. If you get the Mark 4 version your basically getting Prophet 5 oscilators running through a Jupiter 8 filter. The Mark 5 version uses Curtis Oscilators and Filter....effectively an 8 voice Prophet 5.

The alternative is that you sit and wait a few years for Moog to release their polysynth. I know some well connected people and been informed that R&D is already underway. The new Moog Voyager XL paves the way for a 61 note keyboard and the cabinet is there. Its just the electronics which need to be worked out. The market is not ready to receive a £5k polysynth...but I can tell you something....it will be the only analog poly you'd need to own.

I've been fortunate enough to own all the classic analogs - there is something very special about their sound and feel. Check out some of my Youtube vids...

Roland Jupiter 8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XxnPH5qahY

Roland Juno 60 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koWUu8GT_4o

Prophet 5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_hxEQYIDKs

Visit my page at http://www.youtube.com/user/DIGITALSCREAMS

Of all the VA's, the Virus is the most unique/best sounding.....enjoy it for what it is

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 23.02.2011, 01:18 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Default Roland Jupiter 8

That Jupiter 8 sounds soo rich, can hear it in a lot of deep and progressive house tunes. To me it's like the quintessential sounding synth.
Old 23.02.2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthfiend View Post
That Jupiter 8 sounds soo rich, can hear it in a lot of deep and progressive house tunes. To me it's like the quintessential sounding synth.
True.....

My old Jupiter 8 is being used by Jody Wisternoff aka WayOutWest. You can hear it (and the Prophet 5) all over their latest album 'We Love Machine'

Pleasure Control - Arp Lead/bass and pad is Jupiter 8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQJEQqtS_L0

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....