Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 08.03.2010, 11:46 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Yea, considering I already own a Virus, I was considering my next purchase. I had experience using an old school set of roland modular synths from the late 70's - early 80's for my university project (just finished my honours degree in Music majoring in Sonic Arts (Avant Garde electronic music composition)).

I found a very stark uniqueness to these synths, something that I haven't recreated on my Virus; admittedly though I've only had my Virus for less than a year.

So was just putting the suggestion out there, for info on good (modern analoge) synths.

I create breaks, downbeat and general electronic inspired tunes.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the input folks
Old 28.04.2010, 09:27 PM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Maybe I need my hearing testing, but these days the analogue emulations from the likes of GForce software sound so convincing that I have decided to give up on lusting after expensive analogue gear. The virus plus a few softsynths covers all sonic bases for me, production-wise.

If I played live though that would be different, I would be selling my granny to get hold of a minimoog voyager in a flash
Old 28.04.2010, 10:55 PM
This forum member lives here

Might check out the Dave Smith Instruments Tetra for an entry into analog, and assuming you're like me and couldn't live with the monophonic version (Mopho). I haven't heard one other than the demos but the price is nice, and I think its essentially a baby Prophet.
Old 29.04.2010, 03:36 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanvirus View Post
Maybe I need my hearing testing, but these days the analogue emulations from the likes of GForce software sound so convincing that I have decided to give up on lusting after expensive analogue gear. The virus plus a few softsynths covers all sonic bases for me, production-wise.

If I played live though that would be different, I would be selling my granny to get hold of a minimoog voyager in a flash
Totally agree. About a year ago I got this wonderful OB-X emulation called OP-X:

http://www.sonicprojects.ch/obx/description.html

$79 on EBay but I see now that they increased the price to $99. Still very little for what you get.

A friend of mine while working in my studio used it and couldn't believe his ears. He ended up buying the VST and selling his high-maintenance OB-Xa. He sold it for a lot of $$$, there are still people paying premium prices for that stuff, but unless you're a collector, IMHO it's not worth the trouble. Apparently my friend agrees too.
Old 01.05.2010, 01:01 AM

Get the P'08 Pot Edition....it sounds better - warmer, smoother...

The Andromeda is overly complex, the OS is incomplete and they had to rush the manufacturing towards the end as the company was GOING DOWN. If you buy one in the UK and something goes wrong, you may have to ship back to the US to get fixed....to me that would be a nightmare.

Virus TI and Prophet 08 are a perfect match.

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 01.05.2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPi View Post
Totally agree. About a year ago I got this wonderful OB-X emulation called OP-X:

http://www.sonicprojects.ch/obx/description.html

$79 on EBay but I see now that they increased the price to $99. Still very little for what you get.

A friend of mine while working in my studio used it and couldn't believe his ears. He ended up buying the VST and selling his high-maintenance OB-Xa. He sold it for a lot of $$$, there are still people paying premium prices for that stuff, but unless you're a collector, IMHO it's not worth the trouble. Apparently my friend agrees too.
I've tried the demo - but honestly....a 6 voice softsynth feels abit crappy and uninteresting to me. Maybe I've missed something...

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 01.05.2010, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS View Post
I've tried the demo - but honestly....a 6 voice softsynth feels abit crappy and uninteresting to me. Maybe I've missed something...

DS

Yeah I tried that one once and thought same.. But try the MiniMonsta by GForce, I thought it sounded pretty realistically analog. Also like analog not the best beast to program but you stumble across some great "nowhere else" sounds partially by accident. But be sure to run it through high quality compressors, reverb etc before judging it... some soft synths dont have top notch built in effects.
Old 01.05.2010, 12:14 PM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

I briefly owned a Tetra - I was a little underwhelmed by its sound, and given you need to use software to program it I could not see the advantage of using it over a good quality analogue emulation

a prophet 08 is a different beast though with all those lovely knobs to twiddle