Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 16.04.2015, 04:00 AM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Default FL Studio 12 changes with the Virus?

Anyone know of any direct changes that will happen with FL Studio 12 that will affect the virus?

I'm pretty excited for the release but I have so many issues with FL Studio + Virus it makes production not as fun as it should be.
Old 16.04.2015, 03:19 PM
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallward View Post
Anyone know of any direct changes that will happen with FL Studio 12 that will affect the virus?

I'm pretty excited for the release but I have so many issues with FL Studio + Virus it makes production not as fun as it should be.
In the entire time I used FLS, I never saw a strong commitment to make their product work with hardware. The core FLS product is largely developed by one guy, and with Imageline's business model of buy-once and get free upgrades forever, I'd say there's very little motivation for a sudden interest in spending a lot of time getting FLS working with the Virus specifically. In order to stay in business, they have to spend time developing features that will sell more copies or more plugins.

Did you ever get past your issue of the 2 second delay? I'm fairly certain that has more to do with a driver issue or your audio interface than FLS or the Virus. You may still have problems with FLS, but at worst they should be measurable in milliseconds.

Then, branch out and try another DAW so that you can contrast/compare to be issues are FL specific. On Access' music page, they list the Windows based "compatible sequencers" as :

•Steinberg Cubase SX/SL 4 or higher
•Pro Tools 8 M-Powered, LE or TDM or higher
•Cakewalk Sonar Producer X
•Ableton Live 8 or higher

So, if you stray outside the supported DAW list, you may always run into issues. At a bare minimum, you will probably never be able to get proper Virus support for FLS simply because Access will say it's not supported.

Just a heads up -- there are lot of people who learned about electronic music on FLStudio feel like other DAWs aren't "as much fun" to work with. Personally I think that feeling is overcome with time as you learn the new DAW, part of it is just overcoming learning curve.

My background started in hardware, actually long before FLS or even soft synths existed. In those days, MIDI timing between hardware instruments and the sequencer was just something we had to cope with. For a sequencing environment I started out with the now legendary Atari ST (a computer from the late 1980's which had built in MIDI ports directly on the motherboard).

So, when I first started using FLS, the "wow" factor for me was the super-tight timing of soft-synths, being able to open a project and have all of my patch edits for every synth instantly available in a project file without dumping them to individual synths, etc. All of the latency of signals traveling across MIDI cables seemed a thing of the past...

... or was it? At some point we run into CPU limitations, or we just lust after hardware because the gear is cool, or we want the immediacy of the hands-on feel of hardware.... My point is that more and more it seems that folks who cut their teeth on software feel there is something glamorous about eliminating a computer from their setup -- I guess it's hip to go old-school (I personally think its kind of a pointless goal, since the Virus itself is basically a computer, as are most other modern synths). For whatever reason, we find ourselves back with dealing with hardware and all of it's limitations.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that to some extent, you'll have to get used to workflow disruptions as a result of working with hardware. You will eventually develop your own way of doing things that optimizes your workflow. For example, I currently have several Cubase templates that I use to start projects -- they have lots of hardware configuration settings. Those templates alone took a long time to get set up the way I wanted to, but they save me a lot of time on an ongoing basis.

Another way to think about it is that you don't want your entire music hobby (or career) to be dependent on one DAW, especially not one like FLStudio that is dependent on a single guy to keep it going. What if Gol (Dieder Dambrin the developer of FLS) gets hit by a car one day, or just decides he has enough money and wants to retire?

So if you're serious about producing it kind of behooves you to expand your horizons a bit. It doesn't mean you have to drop FLS as your primary environment.

Just a side note, most of what I always appreciated about FLS workflow has now been replaced with Maschine. I liked that FLS kind of defaulted to a pattern-based step sequencer (it can certainly do a lot more but that was always its roots). Maschine supplants that need now. I use it for basic beat/groove construction and sampling in conjunction with Cubase as the primary DAW.
Old 17.04.2015, 04:59 AM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Thanks for the reply MBTC. After finally upgrading to hardware, I do enjoy it more than clicking and the sound the Virus produces is massive. I honestly wish I knew more about it a few years ago.. I am still getting used to the new workflow I have to deal with. Everything feels so much slower again because of all these extra steps I have to take.

I did manage to fix the latency issues and the only issue I'm having is that FL Studio (64bit) will randomly go crazy and crackle every 5 minutes or so. The only way to get around it is by changing the sample rate to something different (higher or lower).

I am in the very very slow process of learning a new DAW. I'm leaning towards Bitwig but there's not enough information on the Virus + Bitwig usage for me to commit time to learning it. Ableton is probably going to be my next choice, but I HATE Keyboard in it.
Old 17.04.2015, 02:47 PM

I would ignore Bitwig for now and go for one of the ones listed on the Access website. Not just for the Virus but because those are the hosts that get tested first for all plug-ins. I've been hearing some of these lesser known DAWs are starting to fold up shop and go home after they've made their money.

One of the reasons I went Cubase is because they basically invented a lot of the technologies used in music creation these days, they are backed by Yamaha, and Cubase basically defines the VST standard -- if it doesn't work in Cubase then the VST standard probably hasn't been implemented right and it's up to the plug-in vendor to get it right.

You'll get used to the new DAW soon enough, there are tons of video how-tos out there these days. In fact I think there is so much information out there that folks have gotten lazy. I think I have an appreciation for it all because of my background.

Imagine a time when there was no such thing as an Internet connection. The best you had was an occasional book, a monthly subscription to Keyboard magazine, oh and by the way you had to learn synthesis on a Kawai K5 (considered one of the most complex and difficult to program synths ever made). That's what I learned on and that's why I'm mind-fucked by how much information is out there, free and easy to get to these days. Go get it!

I don't know Cubase backward and forward AT ALL. I know how to do the things I do 90% of the time and the other 10% I just look it up.

I just sat down with it with the goal of making music, and every time I needed to do something I couldn't figure out how to do, I just looked it up. There are forums, videos, etc. Believe me, it will all come together faster than you think. You'll be doing the same thing you do in FLS, just with slightly different keystrokes and menu options. Keep using FLs at first, then every time you do something in FL, try going into the new DAW and doing the same thing.

The process of learning is fun if you embrace it.