Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 22.10.2003, 11:18 PM
New here
New here

Default Multiple Operator FM Anybody?

Has anyone attempted to use the internal patching to create complex FM with multiple operators i.e. by using one frequency modulated voice to frequency modulate another.

I tried but couldn't keep a track of what signals were going where or doing what to what. I got sound out off it but it wasn't musical.
Old 13.11.2003, 04:19 AM
New here
New here

That's an excellent idea, special-k. Me, I'm still getting comfortable with the layout of my new Virus, but it would seem that this is an area rich for exploration.

How would you go about getting multiple operators? Within one patch, you've got the obvious "FM Amount" control. But say you sent that signal to another part via internal Aux buses. (This'll help me clarify things, too.) And say you set the input of that 2nd part to the Aux bus. What does that signal replace? Both Osc. 1 and 2? If so, where are you gonna get more FM from? You could use the LFO or the chorus, as I see it. The problem here would be geting the Rate(Frequency) to follow the keyboard. Seems you'd get into atonal stuff pretty quickly. Maybe you could use the mod matrix to assign Keyfollow to LFO freq or Chorus rate.

Man, I've just got to get familiar with my new baby. Have you tried any of this stuff yet?

-Hoax
Old 13.11.2003, 05:39 AM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

i havent dabled with the internal routing much myself...

but, ive played around with re-routing signals from multiple outputs back in thru the inputs.....eg; spliting the effects from one patch on a seperate output then re-routing those effects back into the virus triggering another patch, while at the same time running sounds from my sampler into the inputs too....

it just all sempt to get too hard though...making sure each patch was running on a seperate output, so i would get looping and the like gave me a headache! hehe

heres a quote from another thread that i wrote concerning some input experimentation......this was the best result ive gotton so far using the inputs and routing...by the way sorry for the length!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell
i routed a notch filtered lead sound form the nord into the virus...the viruses filters cutoffs were controled by the lfos....i also attached the mod wheel to control the level of cutoff on the VC, plus fm on just the nord.....when i would wind up the mod wheel...the fm off the nord would come in at the same time the virus filters were cutting off in lfo-ed tempo....

at the same time as this was happening...i routed another virus part (using a virus sound on different outputs, so i wouldnt create a loop) into the virus inputs too.....this sound was effected by the same lfos and filters as the nord sound......

it was like merging one virus sound and a nord sound (notchfiltered) together....but so they would sound as one...routing them both thru the same filters on the virus (lfoed) gave them a playable collective sound)....
shit i love my virus! ill have to give those internal routing possibilties a go one day!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 18.11.2003, 04:41 AM
New here
New here

So far, my experiments have come out thusly: the Virus LFO is not fast enough for FM. So how'd you do it, special-k? How did you get multiple operators? I'm really interested in using this as a technique, but I can't seem to find more than 1 consistently reliable operator. Your opinion?

-Hoax
Old 18.11.2003, 12:37 PM
Veteran
Veteran

You can theoretically do this, but you have to do it in Multi Mode.

I guess it would go something like this:

1)Create a patch (A) that uses FM

2)Create another (B) that uses FM Mode = Aux 1 L+R

3)Create another (C) that uses FM Mode = Aux 2 L+R

4)Create a Multi patch as follows:

Part 1 = Patch A, Output = Aux 1 L+R (midi ch1)
Part 2 = Patch B, Output = Aux 2 L+R (midi ch1)
Part 3 = Patch C, Output = 1 L+R (midi ch1)

5) Drive yourself mad, flitting between Parts (MIDI Panel = Internal) changing the Waveforms and Semitone settings to get what you want

Anybody care to try it out? I've got better things to be getting on with..
Old 12.06.2014, 05:29 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Have tried it and it's fun! There's no better thing to get on with then making crazy sounds, a sound designer like you should know better and should also visit us every now and again.

(my old thread resurrection )