Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 15.07.2013, 09:20 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Default replacement keys for a Polar ti2...where?

i called the service centers and they told me that they don't sell parts.

so, anyone know where i can get some replacement keys?

thanks!
Old 16.07.2013, 04:29 AM
This forum member lives here

I keep reading these stories about Viruses falling apart. And you can't get parts?

Thank god for the softsynth movement.
Old 16.07.2013, 05:28 AM
Pro
Pro

Stay on topic.

The music store you purchased from should be able to advise you on where to get serviced and repaired in your country, as well as the Access site, depending on what kind of tech expert you have in your city. I would do a bit of research, go talk to your local music store tech and ask if they know anyone personally who can do a proper service job.

In my experience you have to chase Access up a bit to get what you need out of them so dont be afraid to hassle them with multiple enquiries.

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/

Old 16.07.2013, 02:00 PM

I thought my question was fully within the scope of his topic, but since it's bothering self appointed forum cops I'll create a new thread.
Old 18.07.2013, 03:54 PM
Administrator

I like you MBTC, but don't be an arse. We don't know Chimney's circumstances but hardware can break, any keyboard, even your Ultranova could. For what it's worth, I hope you don't ever decide to get a real analogue synth.

Feeding|ear is right on the money, Chimney. Your retailer and/or Access will be able to advise - they are your first point of call, and the ones to go back to if other avenues need to be sought.

Replacing individual keys is exceptionally easy to do on the Virus. Once you get the replacement keys, let me know if you need help describing the process.
Old 18.07.2013, 06:20 PM

Really wasn't meaning to come across as an arse to the original poster with my first comment in this thread, it contained a genuine question about part availability, which I have spun off into a second thread for reasons also stated. My second post in thread contained an bit of snark but it was an eye for an eye type of comment. Certainly the comment about soft synths not having this issue was optional, but if we suppress opinions like this, especially points as valid as that one, the process of information exchange is broken.

Most definitely the Ultranova could break (in fact I'd expect it to before a Virus does), and that fact was one of the reasons I was much more willing to spend $600 on a HW synth than $3000. At that price point, my expectations around reliability and part availability are much lower. Even my Remote SL MKII will break at some point, but again it's just a MIDI controller that can be replaced with another MIDI controller at a fraction of the cost of a Virus or Workstation grade synth. Even still, Novation seems to be very active with their product lines and support, whereas Access Music does not seem committed to getting their existing features (TI, specifically) working as advertised, and that again raises a cloud of doubt.

Again, to be clear, the OP said he couldn't get parts. I'm just wondering what does a person do if they can't get parts from Access? Contacting a retailer has been mentioned here, but if I ordered a new Virus TI2 today it would probably be via Amazon (directly from Access' amazon store presence). So in that case, if something breaks and Access won't help, what do I do?
Old 18.07.2013, 08:35 PM
Definately caught something...
Complete Newbie

I would find out what vendor supplied the keybed to Access, probably Fatar.

Then, you could contact that vendor for a replacement key.

-dj

Nord Stage 2
Access Virus TI2 Polar
Korg WS-AD
Korg TR-Rack
Roland XV-5050
Emu Procussion
Kawai K5000S
Old 05.02.2014, 07:58 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

My initial problem that motivated this thread was that the low C and high C were clacking when pressed slightly harder than normal.
this actually prevented the low C key from responding to after touch.
I gingerly cracked the Polar open and coundnthat the bottom of the keys in question were hitting the bracket that affixes the sides to the bottom of the virus.
to fix this I filed down the plastic bottom of the keys where they were meeting the bracket. this fixed the after touch problem but it didn't fix the hard stop at the bottom swing of the key.
I had to open it again and file down the bracket screws themselves which took awhile.
problem fixed.

for any who are opening up their polar be he warned....as opposed to the Indigo keyboards the control face on the Polar is hinged and slotted into the bottom cradle of the Polar. I didn't realize this until too late and it scratched up the paint where the inputs, midi etc are as I lifted the control face up and it suddenly released itself from the slots.
sucks