Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 08.07.2011, 10:32 PM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Default help me recreate a bass line

Hello everyone iv been trying to recreate the bass sequence or arp, im not sure which one is being used to run the notes. The bass line i wanna figure out is first contact by Omni Trio. I know, I know its super easy and just started really getting to playing by ear. Every time i just recreate myself i can get the sound of it seeing as its just 303 stlye bass, but cant seem to figure out if its 8 or 4 steps.

The bass line starts at 00:27 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJHK9WOSBTY
Old 02.08.2011, 06:38 PM
Am starting to like this forum

The key things to get this sound right -provided you get a decent sequence of notes in- is:

Glide between notes: quick glide, not too slow, but enough to get the notes slide between each other. That´s one of the key qualities of the 303 bass. Get a feel for the slide by playing it out with your hands, don´t jump to the sequencer.

Filter: Low Pass filter with A LOT of resonance. Then you play around with the Cutoff to morph the sound into the track.

Distortion: run it through some pretty warm distortion/saturation/wave shaper. It´s really important to get the huge resonant filter being heavily distorted to give it that 303 edge!