Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 26.10.2011, 08:47 PM
New here
New here

Cool [Solved] Shape-knob

Hi!

I recently read an article online from Sound On Sound that was some sort of masterclass, or somehting like that, regarding different functions on the Virus C.

And one thing they clarified, even with a schematic picture, was how the shape-knob/function really works (according to them now). In the manual it is portrayed like a switch with three different options (or did they even mentioned the saw-wave mode?). Sound On Sound on the other hand said and showed that, that is not completely true. In fact the Shape knob works as an crossover-selector. And i tried and listened today on some sounds and i think they are right. Because the sound can (at least for some patches) also change BETWEEN the sinus and the saw and also sometimes BETWEEN the saw and the square-wave. I just wondered if this is right and that i have also understood it right?? Because if it was just a switch with nothing between theese three waves, then it would not be anything between theese three points/modes/waves on the knob, which it seems to be. Hope you understand what i mean.

So i think that the crossover-explanation of the shape-knob is more correct and accurate than the one in the manual, which as usual left much out. So could someone confirm this?

//T

Last edited by punx : 28.10.2011 at 11:33 PM. Reason: forgot e-mail notification
Old 28.10.2011, 10:35 PM
Analog synth DSP lover
Amateur

That would be correct. IDK what the C manual says, but the Shape knob is continuous. You get:
- All spectral (fully to the left; PW knob will decide which spectral wave you'll use. )

- Mix between spectral and saw wave (anything inbetween full left and dead center. PW will decide which spectral wave you use)

- Saw wave (dead center; PW will have no effect while the shape is saw only)

- Mix between pulse and saw (between dead center and full right. PW will affect the pulsewidth)

- Pulse only (full right. PW will be the pulsewidth)