Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 05.02.2009, 12:41 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Default Hardware Controlling the SNOW

Hi,

I am a hardware guy and I use a Korg M3. I would like to have a better control or tweakability over my Snow just like the way you can control a TI Desktop. My questions are:
- Is a Novation SL Zero a good option for control?What else it there?
- What connection configuration should I follow so that the MIDI data transmitted from the controller will get thru the M3?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05.02.2009, 04:49 AM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulidstate View Post
Is a Novation SL Zero a good option for control?
Yes. The Novation SL series are some of the best MIDI controllers out there, IMO. The key feature of the Remote SL series is the LCD screen which allows you to see the custom names you've given each control as well as its current setting. With most other controllers, you're stuck trying to remember what knob does what, or you have to write on a paper or tape strip on the controller. So the LCD feature alone makes the Novation controllers standout amongst all the other options.

Quote:
What else it there?
Well, you can use virtually any hardware MIDI controller, as they are all programmable to some extent.

Quote:
What connection configuration should I follow so that the MIDI data transmitted from the controller will get thru the M3?
There are TWO ways to interact with parameters on the Snow via MIDI.

Option 1: Direct control via MIDI (no computer involved).

For "direct" control, connect the components with MIDI cables. In your case, you can route:

M3 -> SL Zero -> Snow
or
SL Zero -> M3 -> Snow

Simply connect the MIDI output on the first device to the MIDI input on the second device and so on. The earlier devices have the ability to control the latter devices in the chain. Putting the SL Zero first in the chain will give you the option of setting up SL Zero controls to also control parameters on the M3 if you wanted.

Note: MIDI devices typically have a system setting to determine how they respond to data at the MIDI input. You'll probably want to put the M3 and Snow on different MIDI channels, and then you don't have to worry about a single control affecting both machines at the same time inadvertently.

Option 2: Control via the VIRUS TI plug-in.

Probably not the best option for you, if by "hardware guy" you mean you want to run without a computer. The VIRUS TI plug-in works on a computer, within software such as Apple Logic, Ableton Live, etc. to remote control the parameters in your Snow. The plug-in has an intuitive layout for interacting with synth and FX functions, plus there's a great file browser that makes managing sound sets much easier. As far as connecting the gear for this scenario, hook the Snow to the computer via USB, and same for the SL Zero. The MIDI connections will be made in the Audio host software, virtually.

This is probably not what suits you, but I mention it just for others that might be reading so that they realize it is an option for MIDI hardware control of the Snow via the VIRUS TI plug-in.

If you choose to go with the SL Zero, let me know. I've got a basic template for it that will help you get started mapping controls, and I'm working on a tutorial article that incorporates what I've learned on this forum and elsewhere in what I hope is an easy to understand format. The tutorial is not complete, but I'll be glad to send you what I have so far. Once it's "final" I'll be posting back to this forum.