Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 08.11.2010, 05:27 PM
New here
New here

Default Trying to understand filter envelope

I am a beginner with the Virus TI and I was wondering if someone can explain in simple terms how the filter envelope amount works.
I mean, you create your envelope and then you decide the amount of filter envelope. What does the envelope amount exactly mean? Is it an offset to the cutoff you have selected? For example, you set the cutoff to 40. Then you do full envelope amount. Does this mean that the attack goes from 40 to (40+ full envelope amount) and the release goes back from (40 + envelope amount) to 40?
I hope someone can clarify this for me. The Virus manuals were not of much help to me with regards to that.
Old 09.11.2010, 03:10 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Filter envelopes are basically for automatically sweeping the the filter cutoff the moment you press each key so you don't have to sweep it manually with the cutoff knob.

Envelope amount determines the intensity of each sweep, A,D,S, slope and R determine the slope/timing/direction the filter sweep follows and the little plus sign (polarity) determines whether you want to sweep it in the opposite direction i.e Decay sweeping from down to up instead of up to down.

Note it will only sweep it to the point the filter is set, for example if cutoff is set to half way and env amount is set to full, it will only sweep to half. If both cutoff and env amount are set to full then the filter envelope will have no affect.

You can also use the filter envelope to sweep other parameters like pitch by assigning them in the mod matrix.

Without going into to much detail I recommend you do read up on basic synthesis and possibly the manuals for the virus also.
Old 09.11.2010, 04:43 PM
New here
New here

Thanks for the info. Your post confirmed what I was thinking.
I have read a lot about synthesis but not a lot of the reading material had a concrete example of how envelope amount works.

Like I mentioned in my post the Virus manuals were not much help. In those manuals I miss a little background information for synth beginners like myself.
And Access is not the only company that doesn't give background information in their manuals. I am looking at you, Roland and Yamaha.
Old 09.11.2010, 07:16 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headfirst View Post
Like I mentioned in my post the Virus manuals were not much help. In those manuals I miss a little background information for synth beginners like myself.
There's plenty of information in the manuals, plus a ton of tutorials on the access site. All or at least most of the information is at your fingertips, you just need to take your time to go through it.
Old 15.11.2010, 11:30 PM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Check out the 'Programming Analog Synths' PDF, which should have been installed when you loaded the Ti software. That document should help you get a solid grip on the classic features of the Virus.