Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 15.06.2005, 07:15 PM

Default Virus b Wavetable FAQ?

I've had my Virus b for about four years now and I'm still learning new things everyday. One of the areas I haven't delve into yet is using the digital wave oscillators. I have the chart that shows the waveforms, but is there any resource that describes the characteristics of them? The SOS Virus Masterclass mentioned a few. I'll probably do a manual sweep when I get some time and let my ears decide what they are good for, but it would be cool to have some reference.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 15.06.2005, 10:58 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Default Re: Virus b Wavetable FAQ?

Hi Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
....but is there any resource that describes the characteristics of them?
Nope. I've even emailed Access who said they have no info on the individual waveforms as to how they were created or which instruments they were sampled from.

Personally I think they did that to cover themselves from copyright issues.

BUT here's an idea! - Maybe if we all go through them with a fine toothcomb, and someone recognises any certain waveforms, we could begin to collate an 'unofficial' list of what each waveform could possibly be... Or, simpler, maybe give the descriptive waveforms names as to what it best sounds like, like "Tubular-Bell type waveform", or similar...

I think a good few of them are (digital) spectral waveshapes as well, though, which bear no such resemblence to recognisable sounds or instruments (ie. possibly created by means of feedback, high resonances, etc.), so we could label these "Spectral 1" or whatever.

So, how's your oscillator waveform general knowledge, chaps?

( PS > I noticed a good few organ waveshapes in there, but I'm not enough of an organ geek to identify them. )
Old 16.06.2005, 08:11 AM
Veteran
Veteran

These waveforms along with virus's unison/detune/spread and the sub osc really define the virus against any other.
I remember try lots of V.A. synths around 2000 and these things helped me make my mind up to buy a virus b.
Even now it's hard to find 'character' in any 'vsti' and even if there is character it's very shallow and limited.
I've never picked a fav wave as such, I just sweep through them until something works in the patch relative the song I'm working on.
Old 16.06.2005, 07:02 PM

Hey Timo,

That's exactly what I'm talking about! I can't believe after all these years, no one has compiled a list like this yet. Well, let's start. According to SOS's article:

1- sin (duh!)
2- tri (duh!)
14- organ tone
57- fifth mixed in (good for solos)
64- vibe/marimba effects

Anyone else care to add? Maybe once we get a complete list, we can sticky this thread
Old 16.06.2005, 07:08 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Send a message via ICQ to MADSTATION Send a message via MSN to MADSTATION

Great topic!
I really wish I could help but since I sold mine
Old 20.06.2005, 11:39 PM

I forgot to mention that there are dual uses for the digital waves. One as oscillators and the second as the modulation source. For example, the SOS article mentions that wave 47 has a double ramp and is good for rhythmic modulation. Cool stuff.
Old 21.06.2005, 12:38 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

For those who don't know, you can see the individual waveshapes graphically [here], which may help further.
Old 28.01.2006, 01:37 PM

Hey cool idea

Im really interested in finding out more about the digital waveshapes and what each one is good\bad for

Im still a newbie when it comes to synth programing and sound design so wont be much help with this though sorry
Old 02.05.2007, 10:44 PM
New here
New here

up, could be good to know!
Old 03.05.2007, 04:32 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Excellent idea!

Those waveforms have always bugged me!

I'll see if i can contribute to this, although my knowledge of waveforms doesnt go much further than Saw, Sine, Triangle, Square\Pulse