Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 14.12.2010, 03:54 PM
New here
New here

Red face Live PA advice - Virus TI, SE1x, MPC... (how would you use some of these?)

First and foremost, great forum. I recently was able to pick up a TI desktop for a good price and this has drove me down the rabbit hole which is more synthesis.

I have an array of different hardware that I've aquired over the past 5 years or so. I'm curious as to how some of you would incorporate the pieces LIVE PERFORMING I have narrowed down to use together in a set for DnB and maybe some dubstep. I do just fine making downtempo and less hard-structure material w/ my gear (Boards of Canadaish)

I'm basically looking for production techniques. I know how to run these things via midi Controller AKAI MPK25 etc, but, I'm curious to get what i want out of these playing them live, how can I avoid having to "resample, re-edit, layer sounds (outside of playing 2 synths at once) " basically how far can I get to producing the polished sounds of the studio produced stuff, playing live? etc etc...

Right now I use some loopmaster stuff and modify it for the core DnB dubstep type beats, and even some stuff on the mpc but you guys seemed like a good knowledge base..

My chosen arsenal:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Virus TI

Studio Electronics SE1x Angel Dust

(maybe) MPC 1k
(Although honestly it's been collecting dust due to running loops in Ableton and the TI)

Ableton 8 on MacBP
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My list of what i have total to choose from:

Waldorf XT (May incorporate this as well for some nice pads)

Quasimidi Polymorph

SE1X Angel Dust

Korg EMX

Oberheim Matrix 1k (x2)

MPC 1k

Tr808

MidiNes (W/o NES atm)

And an electro-harmonix Cathedral stereo reverb and an Aphex Aural exciter 204.

The 3 items I want to use are ran through a MOTU Ultralite mk3, which I'd like to upgrade later to an RME fireface 800 later. The SPDIF on the MOTU just doesn't want to work right with the TI. No big deal atm, I'm still trying to learn the programming of the Virus.

My studio is 2 Dynaudio BM5A's and a Tannoy TS10 sub... but that's for the house...

I appreciate any and all advice/criticism to this thread.

My apologies if some of this is vague!!!!!
Old 27.07.2011, 01:52 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

My personal live PA rig is
XL7 running sequences on internal sound and other modules
MPC1000 running sequences and other modules
MotifRackES
RaneMLM8 mixer
MOTU MIDIExp128XT
(had)VirusClassic

My new rig will probably be MPC1000 and Virus Darkstar.

I like to jump back and forth between sequencers almost like mixing records. I also like to have a second sequencer in case something stupid happens I can start the other one! I have a complex about stuff not working on stage.

Most of the cats I see doing 'live pa' are running Ableton. I saw Skrillex doing livePA and there wasn't much PA it looked like him just hitting the space bar on his laptop and twisting the occasional knob. That's one reason I like hardware... not that the dance floor massive cares what you're using or doing necessarily. Gotta knock first. There's always some heads that trip on what you're using or doing... but even they lose interest if it sucks!

So I'd have you use the MPC and the virus and the waldorf. That's a nice rack with a pull out shelf for the MPC. I think it's how you can take a minimal setup and get the most out of it. You don't want some big setup at the show. You want to throw the rig up and hand the FOH engineer two cables and hit play.

http://soundcloud.com/austin_tacious/sikstreyrelik