Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 12.12.2004, 12:15 AM
This forum member lives here

Im leaning more towards HC theory...

If the drummer is good enough, he will stay in time, and if not, anyone know a good session drummer????

I will have the drummer & bass player together, and want to capture the song being played between two people, and not two people listening to a click.

It would be a different story though, if we were going to be adding samples etc later, and I would have them play to a click, or just some MIDI rhythm section...bongos etc

Clicks are so annoying!!!!

Oh yeah, back on topic.....I have revised my cost....

5 days recording/mixing, AUD$600 (I figure between 4/5 band members this figure is easily attainable)

My good guy attitude is gonna send me broke one of these days...

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 12.12.2004, 12:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasedee
I will have the drummer & bass player together, and want to capture the song being played between two people, and not two people listening to a click.
Drummer plays on click and the rest play on drums. When recording newbie bands there's hardly enough money to hire a pro drummer.

Quote:
Nah. Click can save your arse on some cases.

Quote:
Indeed. Probably the hardest part of that job is setting the price.
Old 13.12.2004, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho L
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasedee
Drummer plays on click and the rest play on drums. When recording newbie bands there's hardly enough money to hire a pro drummer.

Quote:
Nah. Click can save your arse on some cases.

Quote:
Indeed. Probably the hardest part of that job is setting the price.
Seriously Juho, try to record a band that hasn't heard of midi before (ie; punk or fast rock), not that wierd progressive stuff you listen to, which uses trigger sequnced drums - hehehe. And you will understand why a click doesn't seem to work well at all.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 13.12.2004, 04:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell
Seriously Juho, try to record a band that hasn't heard of midi before (ie; punk or fast rock), not that wierd progressive stuff you listen to, which uses trigger sequnced drums - hehehe. And you will understand why a click doesn't seem to work well at all.
Of course using a click for example with a grindcore band is not a good idea. ?hih. But with medium to slow tempo tracks click is good to have around. All drummers just can't keep the tempo when playing alone. When the band plays together the rest of the band usually retains the drummer and the whole set holds together, but if the drummer plays alone it's very common that the tempo increases even with experienced players. Sometimes the tempo doesn't hardly change at all and sometimes quite a lot. When drummer monkey gets excited, even clocks loose time. Hoho.

Unless playing studio lives, I'd prefer click. I just can't see a reason why not to have it if it's possible. Playing with click destroys groove? Then probably playing with drums (like a complicated click, but rythm indicator that too) kills groove from keyboards and rest of the isntruments too. ?hih.

Ps. I don't see what click has to do with MIDI. Metronomes have existed probably as long as mechanical clocks.
Old 30.12.2004, 10:59 AM
Pro
Pro

Forget your clicks, the guys at Access are expecting drummers to stare at the back of the Ti keyboard.

"Illuminated Access Logo on the rear of the Virus TI Keyboard and Virus TI P?LAR (=Virus Indigo successor). The logo pulsates in standby mode, and can be statically on during normal operation or pulsate to the tempo (like the tempo LED) which is especially nice for those drummers used to playing to a visual tempo source."
Old 30.12.2004, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho L
Then probably playing with drums (like a complicated click, but rythm indicator that too) kills groove from keyboards and rest of the isntruments too. ?hih.
Hey forgot about this thread! How did it go Jase?

Now to you Juho. When playing along side people though, there is a timing that occurs visually. People pause and keep watch on eachother to know when to drop back in.

Maybe the visual stimulation from the TI will help! Or it may just put all the musicians on stage into some sort of weird trance (no, not the music genre trance).
Old 31.12.2004, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Hey forgot about this thread! How did it go Jase?
They have accepted my quote, and we will be meeting soon for pre-production, and commencing recording throughout February

Im signed on for a 3 track demo, which I guess may lead to more paid work! I have been on holidays the past fortnight, and in the first week spent 12 hours per day recording this band, and the results are pretty good. Im just about to start mixing, and If I can persuade the band, maybe can post some short examples in a secret spot.......

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 01.01.2005, 12:33 AM

Maybe PM the link around or something. It might be good for you to have some different ears for feedback.
Old 01.01.2005, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Maybe PM the link around or something. It might be good for you to have some different ears for feedback.
Will do.....It is gonna be a big job. Something like 100+ audio tracks per song! Some rubbish, but still going through it all is gonna be interesting...