Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 23.01.2011, 07:16 AM
New here
New here

Default Workflow: not losing track on available parameters

Hi there,

I've purchased the Access Virus C a few months ago and I'm really loving it, but how do you guys keep track of the possibilities, when designing new patches?

What I mean is, I've been using software synthesizers since the day of their invention and I'm really used to visual feedback, where I can actually see which parameters are available and what values have been assigned to them.

This way it's pretty easy to spot the elements that are contributing to the sound, but tweaking on the Virus I'm always paranoid about some hidden parameters - that I just can't find - unwantedly coloring my sound.

So, how do you go for it? Do you have any special workflow tips, like for example a parameter chart or anything to help us keep track of all the elements involved in a patch?

I know, that a software editor could help, but I couldn't find anything suitable for use with Ableton Live on Mac OS X.

Thanks!
Old 24.01.2011, 08:18 AM
Analog synth DSP lover
Amateur

Mostly it's how the patch is sounding until "now" that shows me what settings are there. So I'd go with "knowledge of the instrument". I have a TI but I usually do all my sound design in standalone on the hardware, while I use the VC to track. VC itself is a great editor and perfect way to visualize the parameters
Old 24.01.2011, 05:09 PM
New here
New here

Thanks for your input! I guess you might be right in that I really have to get to know the instrument better.

I'm currently working through the tutorials that where shipped with the machine and I have the feeling that this alone helps a lot.

So, in the end I just have to be a little more patient.