Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 17.06.2006, 07:01 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Default I've got this bunch of samples.....

which are running at +12 pitch.... chipmunk kinda stuff.

Does anyone know of a utility that would allow me to load up a batch of samples, change the pitch then save them all again in one hit?

WAV format.

I tried Audition 2 but that doesn't work, as it only allows you to batch convert file formats.

Theres hundreds of files so to even think about correcting them individually is just plain wrong and may cause me just to give up my music career, which by the way hasn't even bloody started yet.
Old 17.06.2006, 08:45 PM
Am starting to like this forum

Hello,

Batch Converter should be able to do this.

It comes built into Sound Forge 8.0. Although it used to be a separate program.

Dave.
Old 18.06.2006, 03:45 AM
This forum member lives here

Or try the batch process in wavelab - powerful time saving tool.

cheers

Blay
Old 18.06.2006, 12:45 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Thanks.
I don't have Soundforge or Wavelab so i'm kinda stuffed there.
Old 18.06.2006, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Half the frequency playback rate, then convert back to 44.1KHz (or whatever the intended output format you want). You wont need to use a pitch-shifting algorithm that way.

So, if the +12 pitched native sample playback rate is 44.1KHz, drop the frequency playback to 22.05kHz. The sample will now be playing at the proper speed (the playback speed has been halved = ie. down one octave = -12 tones).
Then convert this file back up to 44.1KHz and save it out, to import into your projects.

Not sure how you can automate this for batch conversion, but it would be relatively quick to do it manually (even quicker if you assign a few hotkeys). Depends how many samples you have to convert.

[Edit] Oh, hundreds, lol! Doh. Erm...
Old 18.06.2006, 04:08 PM
Veteran
Veteran

I adjusted the sample rate on one file and it did 'lower the pitch', so I guess that may be more the direction I should be looking right enough Timo. Thing is that I am unable to tell which sample rate the files should be at? They are a bunch of Ethnic World vocals and when I reduce to 22khz with one file it seems fine but then if I reduce another file by the same it seems too slow and gives the sloooooooooooooow motion impression, deep voice etc... definately not the way the original sample should sound.

Ho hum
Old 18.06.2006, 04:45 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Download AUDACITY, its free
Old 18.06.2006, 04:56 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Cheers, someone else mentioned this to me too...

I downloaded it and tried reducing the sample rate with one file via <preferences> but no change was made to the WAV after executing the command. Perhaps i'm not doing it right but i cant see where else it can be done. Especially for a bulk amount of files.

Also when I export files the prog closes, dissapears from my desktop. (good ol windows XP)
Old 18.06.2006, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvisibl
I adjusted the sample rate on one file and it did 'lower the pitch', so I guess that may be more the direction I should be looking right enough Timo. Thing is that I am unable to tell which sample rate the files should be at?
Ah, of course. I thought they were all at +12 tones (ie. exactly an octave too high).

If they are all at different speeds it would be a rat's maze.

... In this case I gather the samples were originally destined for a particular hardware/software sampler? Reason I'm guessing is that they would probably go with a script/key-map file which tells the sampler the 'key' note/pitch (hence the frequency) that each individual sample originated at, so the set could be loaded into the sampler and mapped out accordingly per sample.
Old 18.06.2006, 08:43 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Yeah the 12 thing was just a guess, figure of speech type thing but it very much seems like it for the most part.

If your right about the keymappings then I guess i'm jolly well fooked!

The first 80% are fine as mentioned..so.... who knows what the deal is or if it could be that the first 80% are not set up for keymapping. Though I notice that many of the 80% samples have came out as though setup for keymapping. i.e. Filenames represent A, B, C, D etc.... key notes which do go up in corresponding pitch.

The guy I bought them from says they play fine in Halion, he sent me a copy of Halion but its the Akai Z4 I use and thus am looking for the WAVS. I dont think Halion does any conversion type thing else I would install it to get at the samples.

*Mumbles and mutterings

ps - I'll upload some of the samples soon and if anyone feels like it they can download them and have a go.