Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 13.11.2009, 07:25 PM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Default Virus Volume in DAW

Forgive my noobishness if this is a easily answered question...

But I seem to only be able to get the VU meter in my logic channel strip to go up about a 1/4 of the way with the virus plugin when the channel fader is at 0db... it makes the virus tough to stand out in mixes especially when I'm trying out new parts/voices
Am I doing something wrong?

I've been using a gain plug in and/or compression to get up more towards 0db.
Old 13.11.2009, 08:58 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

The virus has its own gain in the fx section. Two other things are -Patch- Volume on the filter page and also another horizontal volume slider for each of your 16 parts. I usually have to raise them to get them to match my other plugins and drum samples.
Old 13.11.2009, 09:25 PM
New here

Hey man, that's what I've noticed as well. Most of my plugins (omnisphere, sylenth, arp 2600v) all play a few db under 0 and usually a little lift is all it takes, but the Virus has been harder to set into mixes. Granted, I just got it and I'm rtying to inject some virus sounds into a song that's already 85% complete and I mix and compress as I go usually.
Old 14.11.2009, 09:22 AM
Complete Newbie

Does logic channel strip have a trim control at the start of the chain? If not, yes you could use a plugin as a gain control. This is also handy for relative adjustments to fader automated channels.
I'd stay away from compression for purely level control in this situation, could get messy fast. (i use compression A LOT for sound design over the Ti bus, but thats another story.)
I use cubase and usually bump the trim up 6db on TI channels so i can have the faders at realistic positions when arranging. I also usually only have 1 or 2 patches on each channel to conserve headroom.
Old 14.11.2009, 11:41 AM
New here

Yeah, 2 patches per USB out--that's the way I typically have found best to work too. I dont like bumping the channel strip up to 6db however from the get.

I'm still kinding figuring it out. Hopefully I'll figure out a way to make the patches cut into the mix better.
Old 19.11.2009, 01:42 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Good thread and one that keeps coming up. I went back to softsynths last night to compare and found them so much easier to fit into my mix. So many Virus patches sound either too loud, or too quiet to sit properly.

Softsynths sound almost like they have a compressed output which standardises the level across patches. Virus patches on the other hand are all over the shop, which as you say, makes auditioning and finding the right sound a nightmare. To get some patches to cut through means you have to crank the volume up, but then it instantly seems too loud. Weird.

I think that the Virus inherently operates with a much greater dynamic range. My only advice is put HEAVY (and from my experiments so far, I mean heavy) compression on the 3 virus mixer channels, in your DAW template file.
Old 20.11.2009, 04:42 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

I've noticed all these issues too.

Here's a little trick I use,
On the FX1 page, boost the gain or I'm sure even amp volume can be boosted.
Then double click on the section title to lock the gain/section. Once locked, you can change patches and the section stays constant, it stays loud.

It's easy to audition this way and later you can revert to the original gain settings and tweak away
________
mexico city hotel

Last edited by Splat! : 29.01.2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 21.11.2009, 11:29 AM
New here
New here

sonalkis has a free plug in that uses very very little CPU that is basically a booster. it is what I use and I just assign the fader to a knob on my midi controller
Old 21.11.2009, 11:37 AM
New here
New here

sonalkis has a free plug in for gain boost. uses very very little CPU. i just throw the fader on a knob from my midi controller and go from there. and if the volume of a patch is going to determine if its worthy, then you are not listening for the right things IMO.
Old 24.11.2009, 02:06 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Nothing to do with determining how worthy it is, just trying to ensure its loud enough to hear through a busy mix. Full stop.