Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 19.04.2009, 12:42 PM
Pro
Pro

Default 5 Bar Grain Complex Patches Crackling

Hey,

Using my Virus TI Polar, I was making a patch that consisted of two OSCs, OSC 1 a Hypersaw with 9 density, and OSC 2 Grain Complex Wavetable Landing and an index of 54, with a complexity of 5 bars (mod matrix uses the mod wheel to cycle the OSC2 WT index, attack, and FM amount), with reverb, delay, and analog boost effect units turned on.

I'm getting a LOT of crackle/artifact pieces when playing the sound. Is there any way to avoid the crackle or ways to dial down the amount of CPU being used? I have tried turning off the delays and reverb but still getting this stuff. Does using the Grain Simple as opposed to Grain Complex reduce the CPU/processing load?

Seems like a real shame because the wavetables and the beautiful sweeps through are some of the best features of the Virus, but with this amount of artifacts, it's unusable.

Any help or tips, greatly appreciated.
Old 19.04.2009, 02:02 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Try turning the analog boost off.
Check if you have Osc 3 switched on, if you do and it's not really needed try turning that off.
Turn the reverb off and use a different reverb instead, eg software of an outboard unit.
Try reducing the Supersaw density a bit.

-Annikk
Old 19.04.2009, 04:42 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedingear View Post
Hey,

Using my Virus TI Polar, I was making a patch that consisted of two OSCs, OSC 1 a Hypersaw with 9 density, and OSC 2 Grain Complex Wavetable Landing and an index of 54, with a complexity of 5 bars (mod matrix uses the mod wheel to cycle the OSC2 WT index, attack, and FM amount), with reverb, delay, and analog boost effect units turned on.

I'm getting a LOT of crackle/artifact pieces when playing the sound. Is there any way to avoid the crackle or ways to dial down the amount of CPU being used? I have tried turning off the delays and reverb but still getting this stuff. Does using the Grain Simple as opposed to Grain Complex reduce the CPU/processing load?

Seems like a real shame because the wavetables and the beautiful sweeps through are some of the best features of the Virus, but with this amount of artifacts, it's unusable.

Any help or tips, greatly appreciated.
There is a great section in the manual about dealing with resource heavy patches, and ways to trim off the fat so to speak. I forget what page, but it is in my Snow manual and helped me alot.