Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 29.03.2010, 04:56 PM
Pro
Pro

Default Replace MC505 Groovebox with Drum Machine/Sampler/other?

Hi all need some advise and views (my minds a little scrambled and over fried at the moment with other work). Please bare in mind this is a reflective post to help decide and looking for input from you all please.
Basically my rig I have had an MC505 for many years which sounds are still accessible via midi but the screens gone a several controllers/buttons not functioning and more likely beyond or not able to get repaired. I want to replace it and realise there are many options, different work methods and products options to replace it, so here I am.
What I need is something to replace the groove box (experience), enable to create beats/loops/phrases outside of the PC environment but still be able to integrate it into the DAW (Cubase/Reaper). Already have a massive database of (Battery/Kontakt/VSTs/Samples/Instruments) which has got me thinking about the sampler route, more specific the Akais MPCs 2500/5000.
So this is the headache...electronica music no acoustics music and here’s what I am mulling over :
Sampling :
Akai 2500/5000
The 5000 is pretty much doubling up what I already have in a DAW, however, has ADAT which would be useful as my rig is running out of inputs outputs but I do have other routing (Fireface direct into DAW with send/returns for external effects and inputs from h/ware synths). As the RME Fireface800 has ADAT which can be daisy chained as it is firstly used by the TC fireworx) it would be handy however I am unsure if the ADAT would carry just one stereo signal from the AKAI to the Soundcard/DAW or multitrack 8 tracks at once and what is the maximum stereo channels the ADAT can carry ie 8+1=9 stereo signals? Does it integrate with a PC nicely for sequencing remotely (from DAW to Akai).The 2500 seems better for me as I don’t really need the 5000’s multitracking function but the ADAT is appealing for routing into the DAW...Or could I route external equipment into the DAW via Akai?
Groove boxes :
Elektrons SPS1-MKii (don’t think I would need the UW)
Elektrons Octatrack (when released – but gut feeling its more gimicky than production)
Korgs Electribe
There is a massive difference and comparison which I know is showing my hesitation for the 2.
Main points are :
I have a good rig in a static location with the synths and vst plugins.
I want to be able to create beats more fluidly and using pads and not reltying on a PC/mouse.
Portablility of a drummachine/sampler (I know the Akai 5000 is not that portable but more so than the rig)
I want to be able to integrate whatever I get in with the PC DAW with ease.
I looking for opinions of the S5000 being over the top considering the existing rig, will it integrate nicely and it does provide a 1 unit solution or should I look at the 2500/something else?
Should I simply replace with a drum machine?
Should I be less greedy or more specific and look at a dedicated drum machine/groovebox/sampler.

Thanks for your time

My noodles, nothing spicy...
https://soundcloud.com/mystafx
Old 29.03.2010, 06:30 PM
Am starting to like this forum

Hi,

Sorry for the quick, short reply.

Have you thought of Native Instruments Maschine?

Cheers,

Dave.
Old 29.03.2010, 07:04 PM
Pro
Pro

Did consider the Machine but as i understand its not entirely standalon and requires the PC link? I might be wrong but thats my perecption....starting to lean towards the S1000 with the latest (final) jjo OS or the Electron Drum Machine mkII UW

Old 29.03.2010, 08:23 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

@ TheHobbit

Yes, I understand your problem here so some are limited and other gear are to massive...... now to find the right box

There are now some new Electribes comming from KORG, still the same workflow but now with SD card drive and fresh sounds (hardware, and can be integrated in your DAW with MIDI). The drum machine/synth is the ELECTRIBE EMX and the sampler the ELECTRIBE ESX.

Then there are the ROLAND MC-909 or ROLAND MC-808. These are the next generation Gooveboxes of yours. They are at good prices now. The MC-909 has a bigger display and you can insert a SRX-card for additional sounds.

The AKAI S5000 is too big IMO for the rig you already have, but it's up to you. If you like AKAI then tend to a 2500 this would be enough.

And what about the SPECTRALIS from radical technologies? This is a all in one machine, too but more compact and a sort of best of ELECTRIBE and S5000. I would say have a look at this sampler/groovebox/drum machine.

I think the SPECTRALIS 2 would fit your need completely, the link:

http://www.radikaltechnologies.com/s...nthesizer.html

Was it a help?

Cheers
Old 29.03.2010, 09:20 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Why not a Yamaha RS7000? For me it is the TB 303 of sample station...
Great integration with Ableton External instrument.
Hundred of quality Fx.
New OS with advanced filter routing possibility.
And the price on occasion is more than correct with the possibilities of the machine.
The only thing which can miss is a modular matrix like the Virus.
Old 29.03.2010, 09:53 PM
Pro
Pro

Yhanks for advice think I am steering away from the 5000, more likely to be the MPC1000 or 2500. Other options new electribes from Korg sound interesting.

The machinedrum is still in my mind but the Octatrack has still got me interested as a groovebox.

I am looking into the Spectralis and maybe a contender at first glance bearing in mind I have a lot of soft synths, the prophet08, JD800 and of course virus ti.
The main thing is with the PC and existing well overflowing sample library including the MC505 hits etc...a groovebox sampler seems to be the best route rather than a dedicated dum machine - really got to think about how I am going to approach workflow, audio routing with existing capacity.

Keep the ideas flowing please.

Old 29.03.2010, 09:57 PM
Pro
Pro

I am loving the Spectralis 2 video demo...very chilled still reading
Are there any European outlets or better still UK outlets?

Old 30.03.2010, 12:45 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Was also about to mention the MC909, it's like the 505 but on steroids, as well as having sampling. - Think it has 16mb Flash RAM as standard, with up to 256mb additional normal volatile RAM [not Flash RAM] as an option. (Because any such >256mb RAM upgrade is not flash-ram, though, you have to save the samples held in the RAM elsewhere before powering down, via USB to computer or to a SmartMedia card on the 909 itself [however, the largest SmartMedia card is only 128mb though]).

The 909 also has beat slicing/chopping (like Propellerheads Recycle), time-stretching etc.

Unlike the MC505, the 909 has velocity sensitive pads.

http://soundonsound.com/sos/Mar03/ar...olandmc909.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_MC-909

Would've been great if the MC909 had some of the newer features of the MC808 (such as 2GB Compact Flash for samples, etc.) and higher poly. However the MC808 itself lacks most performance controls (knobs, sliders, velocity pads, etc.) and other internal specifications compared to the 909, even though the sound engine is the same. Unlike the MC909, the 808 also requires the use of a PC to edit samples.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_MC-808
Old 06.05.2010, 07:51 AM
New here
New here

I've owned my fair share of grooveboxes/beat machines over the years and I think my priorities have been narrowed down in much the same way yours have. Timing, reliability & integration are very important to me too.

I am using a nice old Yamaha A5000 sampler now (expanded with ADAT/sdif/6 balanced outs), but I'd welcome the chance to own an MPC at some point as well.

As far as grooveboxes go, I feel that NI Maschine has taken it all to a new level now, and then you have things like Spectrasonics RMX with its huge libraries. But these are not hardware solutions, and i can see the reason why you'd like to stick with hardware.

If it were me and I didn't have the Yamaha A5000, I'd probably just buy an AKAI MPC 4k and learn to use it very well.
Old 06.05.2010, 10:26 AM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

I would stick with a Akai MPC 1000/2500/3000 especially due to the tight timing they have and flexibility.

The Korg Electribes are great fun....but their i could never integrate their typical sound in my total setup.