Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 29.09.2005, 11:11 AM
This forum member lives here

Default Downsizing your studio or your mind?

We've probably all done it - sell gear off because we proclaim we have too much. Does anyone here think there is more to it than meets the eye? I sure do.

I'll be the first one to admit....that spontaneously wanting to sell all my gear and 'start again' coincided with a difficult time I was having in my life. Stress (even if its not money related) seems to agitate me to do irrational things. Have you guys experienced something similar? What real benefit does it serve? I like to call it mental housekeeping

Comments?

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 29.09.2005, 11:16 AM

I know what you mean....The last time this kinda thing happened, I completely tore apart my studio, reorganised things, tried to tidy up all the wires and cables and mess, and basically, it ended up being just as untidy, and nothing really changed.

Actually, just recently I did the same thing, except painted my walls, and bought a whole bunch of soundproofing. Soundproofing is still not up yet.

I dont think I will ever sell gear though, I have junk sitting there, and everytime I think of selling, I think up another situation in which it might be usefull.

I think the key is balance. Also, keeping fit an healthy in the body, also keeps me fit and healthy in the mind.

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 29.09.2005, 11:19 AM

Nice Jase....makes sense! Bying stuff and not using it.....now theres a classic. I bought tons of 12ft midi cables.....and its currently being used to hang pictures on the walls

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 29.09.2005, 11:33 AM

I'm actually in the process of selling off a whole bunch of gear as I am moving across the country (US). Basically whatever I can fit in my car I take, what doesn't fit - I sell. It's hard to let some of these things go, but ultimately it's good in that it forces me to focus on my core group of instruments and really get the most out of them.
Old 29.09.2005, 12:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

theres a difference between having a studio you accualy get something done in and having a studio which you play around in and not get any work done.

i belive starting fresh when you starting to get that "im not going anywhere with this" feeling is the right move.

get yourself a powerful DAW (Pc or Mac,its your choise...)
*Monitors & Acustic treatment for your control room\studio.
*Quality cables.
*Sound source (software/hardware of your fleva')
*recording gear (preamps,mics,comps,processors etc') if you do any recording.

And the most important thing:
*Visualy redesign your work space to get the right vibe with the new gear.
Old 29.09.2005, 12:30 PM
Pro
Pro

I had set up far too much crap in my place when I moved in in June. Now, it's very minimal. Took the wall hangings and pictures down and binned the hippy rugs. Now the den has a sort of Japanese minimal feel to it with just a nice bamboo mat. Sorted out all the cabling with ties and hid them from view. Easier to clean and don't trip up as much. Yeah, I get a lot more done since then. And yes, I suppose it also marked a changed in my outlook.
Old 29.09.2005, 12:47 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

yes I do this often. I hear Monolake does a re-arrange of his studio too when things start to get a bit stale.. Its good to have a reshuffle and then make something fresh! Same as with life, variety is good.