Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 08.05.2006, 04:17 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Default what cables?

I need to buy a few ~2m cables that cost not more than 10$ / 10? each to connect my synths, mixer, monitors & PC and was wondering what brands should I look for? so far all I`ve found in my local shops are Cordial, Klotz and Tasker .. any opinions, is there something I should be aware of?
Old 08.05.2006, 05:07 PM
This forum member lives here

dont know if they sell them in the UK, but I use livewire cables. Good luck.
But for that price you are not leaving yourself much of an option.
Old 08.05.2006, 06:06 PM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

UK? Which bit of croatia is in the UK?

I personally make my own - nearest branded cables with the same connectors and similar quality balaced cable are probably the lynx professional range of studio cables.

For the number I need and the custom connections it has saved me alot of money.

For the small number of guitar and mic cables I use the sturdier planet-waves instrument or mic cables that are suitable for stage type abuse.

For midi cables - I use the cheapo lynx range - just because that whats the dealer I normally use typically has.
Old 08.05.2006, 06:37 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

for that money you wont get anything better then cheap cables which will wear out quickly.

if your any good at making your own cables or know someone who has these skills i would suggest geting a combo of nuetrik plugs and klotz or mogami cables. it will cost you the same amount of money buying a cheap ready made cable at your local store but the quality is totaly is superb,
high end may i say?
Old 08.05.2006, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul
Sorry, the crack I had this morning was intense!!
Old 09.05.2006, 02:27 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul
Sorry, the crack I had this morning was intense!!
Well if anything that should be a compliment for my English ..

All of these stores offer me to choose parts and will make me those kind of cables I need without any extra charge, no need for getting myself into that. I`m planning to buy some gear next week in a huuuge music shop with Cordial and Klotz cables only, they have a dedicated room just for cables and since these are the only brands in there these should be alright just have to choose parts within my price range.

1.So Klotz or Cordial? [I know that PlanetWaves would be a better solution but that`s just not my reality]
2.Are gold plated connectors necessary? [my logic tells me yes]
Old 09.05.2006, 03:49 AM

I use a combination of Klotz cabel and Neutrik connectors....I have had no problems so far. I dont know of the other brand you mention, but I can vouch for Klotz...

I dont think Gold Connectors are necessary, but if you can afford it, heck, why not!

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 09.05.2006, 05:07 AM
Pro
Pro

Planetwaves makes a couple ranges. One very expensive (coloured ones) and the much more affordable black ones. (obviously I can't remember what these ranges are called.

I have some of both and swear by solderless connectors. However, I can't hear any benefit in teh more expensive ones. I'm gonna kit the rest of my studio with solderless but affordable planetwaves stuff

Every other cable I have bought has some noise or crackle when you move it and some pick up interference. (Not that I have tried any of the ones being endorsed above).

In my experience, when it comes to cables, spend a little bit more than you want to and you'll be set for a long time. Don't spend enough and you'll have headaches for a long time. No need to go over the top though.
Old 09.05.2006, 11:11 AM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

I wouldnt use planet waves for general studio cables - they are too hard (and expensive). They are really intended as stage cables - for which they are very good.

For guitar leads they are great due to the cut-off switches you can get built into some of them and they are sturdy enough to take being trodden on, run over by equipment/chair castors etc.
Old 09.05.2006, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Anywhere that sells decent day-glo/florescent coloured cables? Fancied something a bit different, as well as the colour coding making it easier to see which cable goes to what outboard/synths/etc. going from/to the console.

Will be going the "make your own" cables route too, as buying them pre-made elsewhere is a complete rip off. (And restrictive, if you want custom lengths of cable).