View Single Post
Old 24.03.2004, 05:34 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell
The melody and general feel of the track is great (damn good) until that bass, hats and vocal section at 40seconds - this section gives a corny feel for me (at least it goes away quickly, but comes back at 1min20 - at least with a heavy guitar though). These sections throughout the track are the only downfall for me.
That's one CMX clich?. Every song sohuld have at least one filtered vocal part. ?hihi.

Quote:
The choir is really nice. What did that come from out of interest? It's one of the best choir sounds I've heard for ages. It's actually rare that I'll like the choir sounds at all - so that says something.
Symphony of Voices London Choir.

Quote:
The drums are great. You always seem to capture a realistic drumming. I must say though there are some sections where the crashes seem to get too crushed - 3min40 is a good example of this.
Yup. There were some odd trouble with drums when I first started this project in my general Windows and then later moved to use my studio Windows. Something happened on hats and crash section and they ended up sounding really weird. Some samples were stuttering and other strange behaviour. No idea why. I planned to do some additional tweaking on this track later today, so I'll to fix these drums.

Quote:
The vocal effects are nice too. 4min17 shows good use of stereo spreading with the vocal.
There are just some compression, reverb and slight delay on the vocal track. On the chorus I sang it throught three times: One for the middle, one for the left and one for the right track. Ancient trick to get wide mix. On that 3:40 there's actually five vocal tracks where the left and right track is doubled with octave higher.

Quote:
I really like the way the track filters out near the end, just leaving the piano and choir. Is that a software filter?
Cubase grungelizer, the gramophone simulator. Really nice toy.

Quote:
Anyway to sum up - this track is one fo your best. The only thing I didn't like was the sections I mentioned with the bass. hats and vocal. If you changed these sections - maybe broken rythm instead of the straight beat, they would sit nicer. Take these away and this would be a damn solid track!
Nooo. I don't want to take those away because they're so important pieces on creating the CMX feel.

Quote:
After the 3rd listen the track really started to stick on me too. At the start I said it wasn't my style of music, but the more I listened the easier it got to listen.
That's quite strange because it must feel a bit strange to not understand anything about the lyrics so it might not be that easy to get a grip of that song, although the ending where the piano starts is quite ince (if I may say).

Thanks for your review.