View Single Post
Old 25.07.2010, 09:58 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPi View Post
You're comparing an old PC to a new mac. The truth is, ASIO completely bypasses WDM and it's the raw power of the machine that makes the difference. Macs are currently way behind the curve, you will NOT get the latest tech if you buy a mac pro. But you will pay as much as 3 times more.
As for the mac having lower latency, it's a total myth. Sure, CoreAudio is better than WDM and even Wave RT but, like I said, ASIO bypasses these protocols entirely and therefore it's a completely moot point (nope, CoreAudio isn't better than ASIO.) Here's a recent study that proves that Cubase and Nuendo actually work much better in Windows 7 than in OSX:

http://www.dawbench.com/win7-v-osx-1.htm

P.S. I switched from mac to PC two years ago. Never been happier.
Facts:

Using Virus TI as sound card

Mac Mini - 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 1067MHz DDR3 RAM

PC - HP Elitebook 8530P 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 1590MHz RAM

As u can see, the PC is actually more ballsy than the Mac. Still, the Mac has much lower MIDI latency.......don't know why......i'm not imagining it. I have worked closely with both systems now.
I would suggest u are over simplifying things when you can assume that mear ASIO performance is what draws the line
I believe Core Audio has something to offer over the PC equivalent.
U just need to look at what all the big boys are using...hate to say it, but its true.