View Single Post
Old 01.02.2004, 04:15 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to Panopticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS
how did u open up your KB? Cos i need to look inside mine and sort a key constact out + tighten up a side panel.

DS
Well, I just bought a KB a couple days ago, and it had 2 loose screws rolling around inside (other than that, excellent condition). I was able to take it apart and put them back in their positions, here is what to do:

Remove all of the little tiny metal screws from around the perimeter of the unit's base. They're really short, maybe 1/4" or 3/8" long.

Then, there are four longer machine screws (1/2" long), two on each side of the machine, right next to the endcaps. Remove these.

Now, there are 2 of those same little tiny metal screws in the middle of the base of the machine. I removed those, but I don't think it's necessary: they just secure a structural brace; I had to put the brace back on before I put the keyboard back together. So I would try to do it without removing those: I'm all but certain they don't have to be removed.

Now you're ready to take the bottom off, I had to have my wife help me with this. The left side of the keyboard (side with modwheels) will come up gently. The right side, however, hangs up on the endcap. So I had my wife hold the left side up slightly, while I very gently pulled out on the endcap so it would clear. Doesn't have to come out much, and it didn't make any funny noises or do anything scary. Once it's free, the whole keybed will come up, and you can pull it out from under the tab on the rear of the machine. Now, there is a bunch of cabling that connect the keybed to the motherboard and so forth. I was able to set the keybed on the ground immediately behind the machine without disconnecting any of these.

Finally, three notes:

1. All of the larger head screws on the base of the unit stay IN. These simply fasten the keybed to the base.

2. I used a couple layers of some large bubble wrap on the ground to support the unit, so as not to damage any knobs, keys, etc. It worked well, and I would definitley recommend it as insurance.

3. I am NOT a technician of any kind. Taking the board apart was fairly basic, but I would recommend doing it only if you judge your electrical/equipment knowledge to be sufficient (I really had no problems, and you shouldn't if you're careful and conscientious).

Good luck, hope it helps-