Thread: 64 bit OS..
View Single Post
Old 22.01.2009, 08:51 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Sent to Access Support:

Dear Access Support,

I recently purchased a Virus TI KBD.

Please create a Virus Control that works in 64 bit operating systems, such as Windows XP 64. It is swiftly becoming a requirement for modern musicians to use 64 bit because of the demands of huge sample banks that many of us wish to use.

The main point of moving to 64 bit is so that you can go above 3.2 gig of logically addressed RAM.

These days quite a lot of musicians want to use enormous sample banks - gigabyte pianos, for example - and RAM is a real limiting factor here.

The problem arises because with 32 bit, it's basically 32 ones and zeroes, and these are used to form unique data "addresses" so your computer knows where in the RAM it has stored a particular piece of data. The number of memory locations that can be addressed reaches a swift limit with only 32 binary digits and this results in 32 bit computers/operating systems being physically unable to "see" any more than around 3.2 gigabytes of RAM.

With 64 binary digits (or "bits", as they are commonly known) the amount of RAM that can be addressed exponentially ascends into the realms of the arbitrary.

In an ideal world, my new DAW would be running Windows XP 64bit, and would have 16 gigabytes of RAM. As a DIRECT RESULT of VC's incompatability I have had to underspec it at 4gigs of ram running XP32 - and 0.8 of that will go completely to waste.

Cubase 5 is compatible with 64 bit OS's, so really the ONLY thing holding the upgrade back now is VC. It is a travesty that the Virus is Totally Integrated only with older technologies.

Making VC work in 64 bit OS's should be Access's number one priority for future updates to stay competitive in the market and ease the woes of its existing customers.

-Annikk