View Single Post
Old 22.07.2014, 07:05 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
I got the 300%-500% number from when you said you could barely run 2-3 instances on the i7-950 to being able to run 7-10 instances on the i7-4770K. That's roughly a 300% increase minimum.

Again, know that I'm not challenging you on this -- I believe you, I'm just trying to understand how it might be possible. I'm all about more CPU power=better, but there are subtle differences between various processors and I'm trying to understand how the results you got with your upgrade and Spire could correspond to that.
Ah, I see how you could take that as 2-3 instances to 7-10 as 300-500% - 2 to 10 equals 500%. This is not what I meant. What I meant was more literally 2 to 3 "ish"(2.5?) instances to 7 to 10 "ish"(8.5?), so 2.5 to 8.5, that's what I am experiencing.
So now I will correct myself to mean roughly 3 instances would kill my 950 (stutter audio playback with high 1024 buffer) and 6 instances don't kill my 4770 (same audio card and buffer) and as yet although I have 13 instances of Spire loaded in my current production only 3 to 7 play at any one moment, also the CPU meter in Windows 8.1 never pops up higher than 45% - so I'm cruising in CPU nirvana.

Also I said later that it was in context of separate songs with different other tracks.

I wish there were better audio vst tests for CPUs but they seem randomly focused on Cubase, Reaper, Fruityloops or Massive etc. so not everyone can chime in and test their system against the others.